Review Drill - "Drilling Sequence" (Looks Epstein-ish)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 26, 2013
South Florida
Without seeing a video, it sounds like she's taking the "hands to the ball" - dropping the front elbow and swinging through a short zone with her bat.

Something I would focus on with your DD is that the elbow height is a reflection of the lateral tilt in a swing - the elbow shouldn't raise or lower independently of the upper body. Some call that elbow disconnect (hitter on the left):

enforcer-glauss-disconnect.gif

I would practice better lateral tilt with a two-tee drill, where one tee is set higher to the inside of the batter and the second with a ball is set further away and lower (this hitter isn't an ideal model for this concept, but it should give you the picture):

2r4048y.jpg

The two-tee drill will address both of these issues if the focus is on lateral tilt that "fuses" the elbow in relation to the torso through the first part of the upper body launch. I hope this helps.

I have a tee that can do this drill no problem. Thanks

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Considering the fact I coached my sons baseball teams for 7 years I also chuckled at that comment. I am continuously told that the swings are different, yet on here I see tons of comparison and footage of baseball swings analysis.

This is still a common myth held onto by far too many ignorant people. A good softball swing and a good baseball swing are the same mechanics.

Game swings now posted in first post

I see a strong drop-the-barrel-and-swing-level pattern. This is very common for the age group and MANY dads/moms here on DFP (including myself) are fighting the same battle. I also see a forward lunge. This is also common.

I'm about to send you on a journey that may change your life and your understanding of hitting...

Turn the barrel

If you don't know what that means, go find out. There are LOTS of threads on DFP that describe what it is and how it gets done - read, learn, read more, learn more. Then, come ask questions.

May 26, 2013
South Florida
I see a strong drop-the-barrel-and-swing-level pattern. This is very common for the age group and MANY dads/moms here on DFP (including myself) are fighting the same battle. I also see a forward lunge. This is also common.

I'm about to send you on a journey that may change your life and your understanding of hitting...

Turn the barrel

If you don't know what that means, go find out. There are LOTS of threads on DFP that describe what it is and how it gets done - read, learn, read more, learn more. Then, come ask questions.[/QUOTE]

I started reading that the other day. Seeing lots of "turn the barrel" threads and posts.

My DD is 10, but since she is an 02 she must play 12U which I think is great for her. She is a December 02 as well...LOL

I just want to make sure I am teaching her the proper methods for success at the plate. Thanks for the journey....:)

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I started reading that the other day. Seeing lots of "turn the barrel" threads and posts.

My DD is 10, but since she is an 02 she must play 12U which I think is great for her. She is a December 02 as well...LOL

I just want to make sure I am teaching her the proper methods for success at the plate. Thanks for the journey....:)

Your willingness to take the time to learn is the best thing you could possibly do for your DD's hitting. Enjoy the ride.

May 26, 2013
South Florida
Your willingness to take the time to learn is the best thing you could possibly do for your DD's hitting. Enjoy the ride.

It almost seems like a daunting task and I have to make sure it remains fun for her. So far she truly loves it and haves so much fun with the girls. She has improved so much from her initial fall season. I just know that because of her age she is going to have to work extra hard to really stand out and move past some of these girls that refuse to change their swing. She will be in Middle School next year and I want her to make the team so I am focused on the future,(long term) over short fixes(band aids as mentioned in thread).

Thanks

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Curious as to what the board guys think about this drill.

This is NOT my DD but I do like some of the things going on in this drill.

Before I attempt this with my DD(She is a 10yr old 02' player) She is 4' 5" weighing about 65 lbs.

I want to see if there are any changes you guys would recommend from this drill.

"Drilling Position" - YouTube

These were from a few weeks ago. I do not know how to post direct link, or slowdown vid, I apologize for that and if someone has a simple video editing program suggestion I can easily download it and begin to utilize.

She played 2 rec leagues*garbage here) and then filled in on this travel team last Fall and then became the 12th girl on the roster last spring season. She has alot to learn and works very hard so any and all advice is viewed with a positive outlook. Thanks in advance.

Game Swing One - Olivia Game Swing 1 - YouTube
Game Swing Two - Olivia Game Swing 2 - YouTube

I do not like this drill personally. My DD tried an A ball team this fall and by chance this is precisely what they taught, but thankfully didn't require everyone to buy in.

I think the aim is to promote connection by gluing the bat to the front shoulder. But that forces the front elbow so far out in front, it's not actually a well-connected swing. It also means maximal bat speed will never be achieved, and in fact if decent speed is achieved it will be WAY out front. In reality, the girls who bought into this approach, well, there were some great athletes and I nearly cried because if you want to see a really slow barrel then this is a great drill to do over and over.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Without seeing a video, it sounds like she's taking the "hands to the ball" - dropping the front elbow and swinging through a short zone with her bat.

Something I would focus on with your DD is that the elbow height is a reflection of the lateral tilt in a swing - the elbow shouldn't raise or lower independently of the upper body. Some call that elbow disconnect (hitter on the left):

enforcer-glauss-disconnect.gif

I would practice better lateral tilt with a two-tee drill, where one tee is set higher to the inside of the batter and the second with a ball is set further away and lower (this hitter isn't an ideal model for this concept, but it should give you the picture):

2r4048y.jpg

The two-tee drill will address both of these issues if the focus is on lateral tilt that "fuses" the elbow in relation to the torso through the first part of the upper body launch. I hope this helps.

My daughter says I like to ask a lot of obvious (dumb) questions, but here goes --

This drill encourages turn-the-barrel as opposed to knob to ball? Do hitters who pull know tend to get less bat tilt at contact than those who turn the barrel? (These questions to anyone, not just Mountie.)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd