Reverse Hand Drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
My players are having outstanding results with this drill. They are feeling new things, hitting the ball harder... That is my agenda. I am very, very open... but if you disagree with me and can't back up your claims, I will politely point that out. (If I can't back up my claims, call me out too.) I believe that is important for knowledge gain and everybody reading.

Hitter - Are you a certified trainer suggesting I should not do this drill on one foot with females? I have emailed physical therapists with a link to the video and to this thread to get more feedback.

Initial feedback from my business partner who is a CSCS:
"Looks like you create an angle of 30º at the most. With a girls Q-angle norm of 17º plus another 30º you may have some medial stress and extra valgus from that drill
if you modify the drill and keep your foot straight instead of horizontal may be ok."

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
Another clip. Ortiz hitting a higher fastball really far. Again, look at the swing to contact.

DOrtiz12.gif

Last edited:

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
My players are having outstanding results with this drill. They are feeling new things, hitting the ball harder... That is my agenda. I am very, very open... but if you disagree with me and can't back up your claims, I will politely point that out. (If I can't back up my claims, call me out too.) I believe that is important for knowledge gain and everybody reading. I post on a few other forums. A softball parent from this site contacted me because my posts were copied over here, so I wanted to check it out. (I like that it moves fast!) I was asked to post a video. I did, with full explanation. The rebuttals against my drill lack content. A still image was posted with bogus claims, but when asked for a GIF it was not produced. Who is trying to discredit who? Who is backing up who here? I'm the new guy with a new drill. Try it, feel it, then call me out if that is what you feel you need to do!! =)

Hitter - Are you a certified trainer suggesting I should not do this drill one with females? I have emailed physical therapists with a link to the video and to this thread to get more feedback.

Initial feedback from my business partner who is a CSCS:
"Looks like you create an angle of 30º at the most. With a girls Q-angle norm of 17º plus another 30º you may have some medial stress and extra valgus from that drill
if you modify the drill and keep your foot straight instead of horizontal may be ok."

Not a certified trainer nor did I suggest it, I use Childrrens Hospital Cincinnati Sports Med as a resource. He did not feel it a good drill to do based on the females structure and potential knee issues as most females already have an issue with the quad being stronger than the ham string. How would they balance without having to lean backwards or counter balance knowing the hip is wider and the knee is more under them?

Howard

Howard

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
Not a certified trainer nor did I suggest it, I use Childrrens Hospital Cincinnati Sports Med as a resource. He did not feel it a good drill to do based on the females structure and potential knee issues as most females already have an issue with the quad being stronger than the ham string. How would they balance without having to lean backwards or counter balance knowing the hip is wider and the knee is more under them?

Howard

Howard

Strengthen the hamstrings. I noted this in another post I made earlier.

Last edited:

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Bustos not extending the arms to contact.

102977_m03.jpg

What is your point? Lead elbow flexed and contact is not done yet.

I will not try and explain what she was thinking (how could I) or what she was doing or what or if there were runners in scoring position and where she was attempting to place the ball. How did she set up in the box prior to the pitch? Her career batting average was plus.400 over 10 years, so pick your clips, as there is one out there where the ball was bounced over home plate and she hit a home run and look for the worst of each one and pay her to explain to you how she did it and ask her what she was thinking.

Now I understand what all the phone calls and emails are about....I thought I would give it a chance. You win and THEY loose!

Howard

Jan 31, 2010
I became “aware” of rotational hitting this past Aug-Sep 2009. My DD plays for a highly competitive 14U travel team that appeared to “hit the wall” regarding hitting for power. I googled sites and began studying the free areas of many “gurus” (Mankin, Epstein, Englishbey, et al). I purchased a couple products online. I then hit the discussion boards hoping to better understand it all.

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I’ve been able to read the archives of most boards, spending up to six hours a day checking-out posts and viewing clips (Yea, I know, I need to get a life). The internet hitting guru “personalities” do have an extensive history, replete with their many changes in associations and beliefs. The personality thing may be quite interesting if you’re a fan of daytime TV shows.

One thing that stands out is the fervent aggressiveness and vituperation expressed from one “camp” towards another. This is distasteful, off-putting and asinine. I often witness this aggression during discussions where one side lacks confidence in their beliefs.

Anyhow, DiscussFastPitch is the finest site I’ve found with respect to girls softball. Certain posters rate high on my list (Boardmember, Hitter, Mark H, and others). I closely read all they post, and strongly lean their direction. As I’ve written, I am currently obsessed to learn and teach rotational hitting to my daughter.

I live in farm country in the frozen north. Being born and raised here, we learned certain behaviors early on. One lesson involved cow-pies.

Cow-pies, although initially foul, have a shelf life. Leave them alone and they’ll dry up and blow away. Poking at them only serves to extend their offensive nature.

Learn to not kick the cow-pies.

Jul 11, 2009
Now I understand what all the phone calls and emails are about....I thought I would give it a chance. You win and THEY loose!

Howard

Howard,
I hope this does not mean what I think it means but if so I understand. I will keep following you at the other place :)

Jul 11, 2009
Cow-pies, although initially foul, have a shelf life. Leave them alone and they’ll dry up and blow away. Poking at them only serves to extend their offensive nature.

Learn to not kick the cow-pies.

Well said.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
Boardmember, I just watched your "terminal velocity" video. After watching the video, I am very curious about what your take is on the drill I posted.

To the forum... I try to be direct. Please let me know if it comes off as confrontational. That is not my intent. The content on this site is obviously read by many. From where I stand, I have tried to provide detailed content, ask questions, explain myself upon request, and ask other to explain themselves. While I am not a current or former MLB hitting instructor, I do believe that basing hitting research and discussion on MLB hitters, especially the best hitters, promotes better understanding of hitting mechanics.

If anybody has a SB swing library I can tap into, please let me know!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55