Reverse Hand Drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Yes, well silence is the part the movie didn't account for. Amusing as it was, I did find myself wondering why people felt compelled to say some of the things they said. They could've just as easily said nothing. But maybe that was part of the point, too. :)

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Yes, well silence is the part the movie didn't account for. Amusing as it was, I did find myself wondering why people felt compelled to say some of the things they said. They could've just as easily said nothing. But maybe that was part of the point, too. :)

Not following you Ken. Who are you referring to and what was said that was amusing?

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Boardmember, I just watched your "terminal velocity" video. After watching the video, I am very curious about what your take is on the drill I posted.

To the forum... I try to be direct. Please let me know if it comes off as confrontational. That is not my intent. The content on this site is obviously read by many. From where I stand, I have tried to provide detailed content, ask questions, explain myself upon request, and ask other to explain themselves. While I am not a current or former MLB hitting instructor, I do believe that basing hitting research and discussion on MLB hitters, especially the best hitters, promotes better understanding of hitting mechanics.

If anybody has a SB swing library I can tap into, please let me know!

Tewks, many in the fastpitch community have only recently come to the realization that the fastpitch swing should be the same as the MLB swing. Enquist was one of the first high profile coaches to publicly say so. More recently in the past couple of years, Candrea has stated the same thing. What I see happening now in the fastpitch community is a discussion over what makes up the MLB swing. Unfortunately in my area, the coaches who have been coaching fastpitch the longest, are the ones most resistent to new ideas and change. The saying "You can't teach an old dog new tricks, comes to mind".

If the MLB swing is the new standard in fastpitch as stated by some of fastpitch's highest profile coaches, then IMO it only makes sense to use ML hitters as models. One of the best hitters in fastpitch today, has publicly stated that her role model for hitting is Ted Williams.

Regarding the issue of gender that has been raised, my wife has been a physical therapist for 18 years and has a thorough understanding of how the bones, muscles, ligaments and tendons work. I consult her on occassion about what I'm teaching our daughter, and so far I haven't found any gender specific reasons why a female can't perform the same basic hitting mechanics that men do. The biggest difference I've found is with the batting stance. The girls aren't as good at getting into a "SIT" position. My wife says Pujol's batting stance is a no no, which is fine with me as I'm more of a Ted Williams guy.

It took years for the fastpitch community to switch from linear mechanics to rotational mechanics. Linear is actually still being taught at the lower levels. IMO, it is going to take many more years before there is a consensus on the MLB swing. Right now we are in transition. IMO, the increased influence of male fastpitch pitchers like Hillhouse are going to force fastpitch hitters to continue improving their mechanics. In last year's College Fastpitch World Series, it appeared to me that the peel drop was giving the hitters fits.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Not following you Ken. Who are you referring to and what was said that was amusing?

The movie was amusing. Not hilarious but somewhat funny and it made you think. People in the movie would tend to say whatever they thought -- things they didn't have to say. Such as Jennifer Garner telling Ricky Gervais that she would go out with him one time, but probably not again because he wasn't a viable candidate as a husband. In real life you might think it but you wouldn't necessarily say it. In the movie the people in that world had no concept of lying. So in Jennifer's case if Ricky asked she would have to tell him that. But she said it even though there was no real reason to.

Oct 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
A quick question. This thread began as a discussion related to the "reverse hand drill"; how did it become Epstein vs Englishby or this forum vs HI or BFF? Perhaps a new thread should be started? As a reader, I choose which threads to read based on the title, and if I wanted to learn more about the reverse hand drill, this thread, although started off on that topic, left that topic on about the third of eleven pages. I can get lost in the unrelated rhetoric, but the entertainment value is interesting.

By the way, I absolutely agree with Hitter and SBFamily regarding the extension. I realize that this part of the swing does not hit the ball, but it is a continuation of a swing on a specific plane, not unlike a golf swing. Shorten the follow through, or extension, on a golf swing and see what happens......it aint pretty.

Last edited:

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
3DD's Dad you are correct. This thread has gotten off-target. I have made corrections, and one contributor has been removed from the board. If any others would like to continue criticizing others instead of posting information, let me know and I will remove you immediately as well. I wasn't kidding.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06