Reverse Hand Drill ---- I'M NOW A BELIEVER!!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
We have never had a kid use it in a game. If you fix the grip along with the top hand drill it shouldn't be needed in a game situation. . I think you would have issues at game speed with bat control on selected pitches. I still have kids , while on deck still use it just to get the feel before they go up to bat.

Describe the 'feel' that you want extracted and brought forward into a player's normal swing.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
We have never had a kid use it in a game. If you fix the grip along with the top hand drill it shouldn't be needed in a game situation. . I think you would have issues at game speed with bat control on selected pitches. I still have kids , while on deck still use it just to get the feel before they go up to bat.

SB, I understand the need to "fix the grip," but we play three fall-league games tomorrow and I don't see any problem using this reverse hand approach (and treat it as a practice scrimmage) as a last resort if this particular player I referred to continues to not get the swing that the reverse hand swing gives her.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
SB, I understand the need to "fix the grip," but we play three fall-league games tomorrow and I don't see any problem using this reverse hand approach (and treat it as a practice scrimmage) as a last resort if this particular player I referred to continues to not get the swing that the reverse hand swing gives her.

SBF is correct ... using the drill in the game is not the answer.

You won't find any pros hitting this way in games ... and for a good reason.

You believe you've found something. You believe your hitters were deficient in a portion of their swing ... and you believe this drill corrected that. The answer is for you to learn what the drill promoted that you want brought into your player's normal swings.

Oct 19, 2009
I have seen college players use the drill while in the on deck circle, I would never recommend it used in a game.

IMO it is a great drill to allow a kid to feel extension which is an important part of the swing. It is not something you want to burn in as muscle memory.

You want to transfer the extension you experience (feel) in the drill to your game swing, IMO that is the purpose of the drill and for that purpose it works well.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
If find this a bit humorous. Some of you seem to ignore some of what I said. Do I think a player should use the reverse hand grip as some sort of permanent new grip for hitting in games? Absolutely not. However, for me, these fall-league games I have our team involved in are more like practice scrimmage (a lot more instruction) for us than they are like tournament games. I, therefore, have absolutely no problem having 1-2 players use it once they have two strikes as a way to help them get their swing on the plane of the pitch. If they can put the ball in play with it rather than strike out, I see that as helping their confidence.

What's this taboo regarding using it in fall league or scrimmage games as an extension to hitting practice????

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Many of us use the drill for other purposes than SL and company do. Which is fine! Glad it can accomplish more than one purpose.

Doug think and watch/feel what sending the bat rearward in the gif get the rest of the body to do...in a good way.

I have heard that many kids that have never jacked a ball, first hit over the fence doing the drill. I have also heard some have done the drill with live pitching. Soooooooo......?

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
SBF is correct ... using the drill in the game is not the answer.

You won't find any pros hitting this way in games ... and for a good reason.

You believe you've found something. You believe your hitters were deficient in a portion of their swing ... and you believe this drill corrected that. The answer is for you to learn what the drill promoted that you want brought into your player's normal swings.

FFS, The drill promotes what I have been trying to bring into my players' normal swings. It's not always easy to get girls to envision or buy into what I'm trying to teach them. In fact, I have found 16U girls to be quite resistant to change, especially when they have backgrounds with different hitting mechanics. The appeal of this reverse hand grip is that once they tried it a few times, they realized what it did for them and I STRESSED to them they they must incorporate it into their normal swings.

We have our last three games in this fall league tomorrow. Some of these girls will be off doing other things through the winter, like playing basketball and will not be practicing hitting through the winter. Most will be trying out for high school softball next spring. Because of this, I have absolutely no problem having those who struggle most with getting the bat on the path of the pitch try this reverse hand grip once they get two strikes on them. Keep in mind that this isn't the only thing a batter can do different from their normal swing when they have two strikes on them. It's just an added thing they can do.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I have seen college players use the drill while in the on deck circle, I would never recommend it used in a game.

IMO it is a great drill to allow a kid to feel extension which is an important part of the swing. It is not something you want to burn in as muscle memory.

You want to transfer the extension you experience (feel) in the drill to your game swing, IMO that is the purpose of the drill and for that purpose it works well.

Extension is a 'result'.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
If find this a bit humorous. Some of you seem to ignore some of what I said. Do I think a player should use the reverse hand grip as some sort of permanent new grip for hitting in games? Absolutely not. However, for me, these fall-league games I have our team involved in are more like practice scrimmage (a lot more instruction) for us than they are like tournament games. I, therefore, have absolutely no problem having 1-2 players use it once they have two strikes as a way to help them get their swing on the plane of the pitch. If they can put the ball in play with it rather than strike out, I see that as helping their confidence.

What's this taboo regarding using it in fall league or scrimmage games as an extension to hitting practice????

Better to use the scrimmage to practice what you tried to extract from the drill ..... but do you understand what you tried to extract?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG