Rev fire numbers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
That's encouraging! What made you come to this conclusion?

Conversations with college coaches across various levels of play.
Observations as to the types of pitchers being recruited.
Increased offers in terms of number and value for pitchers I am involved with in the recruiting process.

Do top programs still seek out girls who can throw in the high 60's low 70's? Absolutely. We lived this first hand last summer. However, most programs are lucky to have one pitcher that throws that hard and still has great control and movement. So there are increased opportunities as coaches are wanting to build a staff that will still keep them competitive in the event of injury or other unforeseen circumstance.

I rarely see failure with pitchers that only have average (high 50's - low 60's) speed, but also have great movement and control. But I regularly see players that have good to great speed get lit up because they lack adequate movement and control.

I had one top HC put it this way - I can make all our girls miss throwing front toss at 30 mph just by mixing speeds and putting the ball in the right location. Add movement and they all look silly. A high school team can hit someone throwing 70mph if it is fat with no movement.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Conversations with college coaches across various levels of play.
Observations as to the types of pitchers being recruited.
Increased offers in terms of number and value for pitchers I am involved with in the recruiting process.

Do top programs still seek out girls who can throw in the high 60's low 70's? Absolutely. We lived this first hand last summer. However, most programs are lucky to have one pitcher that throws that hard and still has great control and movement. So there are increased opportunities as coaches are wanting to build a staff that will still keep them competitive in the event of injury or other unforeseen circumstance.

I rarely see failure with pitchers that only have average (high 50's - low 60's) speed, but also have great movement and control. But I regularly see players that have good to great speed get lit up because they lack adequate movement and control.

I had one top HC put it this way - I can make all our girls miss throwing front toss at 30 mph just by mixing speeds and putting the ball in the right location. Add movement and they all look silly. A high school team can hit someone throwing 70mph if it is fat with no movement.

Made my DD's morning!

Jun 22, 2014
It makes sense that there are less RPS measured on the RevFire with increased speed due to the fact there is less time for the ball to rotate. However, I'm unable to figure out if the ball is rotating at the same speed, what is the drop in measured RPS on the Revfire given an increased velocity. Anyone?

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
It makes sense that there are less RPS measured on the RevFire with increased speed due to the fact there is less time for the ball to rotate. However, I'm unable to figure out if the ball is rotating at the same speed, what is the drop in measured RPS on the Revfire given an increased velocity. Anyone?

OK. Interesting.... Not sure it would make a difference, but what if the flight time was at or less than a second?
Any math guru want to calculate the average flight time of a 55mph pitch traveling the roughly 40' distance from release to mitt?

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

That is not how works.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
The RPS is a rate and is measured by the number of revolutions in the sensor divided by the time the ball is in flight,so it is not affected by the time the ball is in flight, it will scale appropriately. The velocity is measured simply by the time the ball is in flight and then has a constant setting for the distance so depending on where it is thrown or caught will vary with the rev fire.

The RPS number is accurate, the velocity is not with the Rev Fire..

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
The RPS number is accurate, the velocity is not with the Rev Fire..

The velocity is accurate once you realize it is a calculated average and not a top speed like a radar gun will show.

Would the spin rate drop as the ball travels similar to speed decreasing from release to pop?

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
The velocity is accurate once you realize it is a calculated average and not a top speed like a radar gun will show.

Would the spin rate drop as the ball travels similar to speed decreasing from release to pop?

Nope- the velocity measurement with the Rev fire is about as inaccurate as you can get with any measurement device. It is no better than one of those balls with the digital readout where you program the distance. It is only measuring one component of velocity (time) and does not measure distance at all, it uses a constant for that. So differences in catcher's setup, release point etc will change the speed, also, there is no way to tell that when you set it to 40 ft, does the algorithm use 40 feet for the calculation? That would be kind of stupid given that pitchers lead forward, so then do they use 35? 37? who knows. BUT it is repeatable, so if you set up to catch at the same distance you will get repeatable numbers since pitchers don't change their release point a whole lot from pitch to pitch. That being said, the numbers I get from the Rev Fire are not horribly off, just a few MPH fro my gun, but 3 MPH in pitching is a pretty big error, so I am really just being a stickler here :)

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Nope- the velocity measurement with the Rev fire is about as inaccurate as you can get with any measurement device. It is no better than one of those balls with the digital readout where you program the distance. It is only measuring one component of velocity (time) and does not measure distance at all, it uses a constant for that. So differences in catcher's setup, release point etc will change the speed, also, there is no way to tell that when you set it to 40 ft, does the algorithm use 40 feet for the calculation? That would be kind of stupid given that pitchers lead forward, so then do they use 35? 37? who knows. BUT it is repeatable, so if you set up to catch at the same distance you will get repeatable numbers since pitchers don't change their release point a whole lot from pitch to pitch. That being said, the numbers I get from the Rev Fire are not horribly off, just a few MPH fro my gun, but 3 MPH in pitching is a pretty big error, so I am really just being a stickler here :)

I agree and have mentioned this on many occasions during DFP discussions.

The math calculation is accurate. The user must ensure that their catcher is equidistant behind the plate as your pitchers stride at release. The number will still be lower than a gun as mentioned since it is an average and not a top speed.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I was evaluating two pitchers side-by-side ... one pitcher was faster than other based on the Rader readings, but the other pitcher was faster based on the Revfire readings. Same catcher ... same pitching area ... same person using the instruments. Release point for each pitcher looked to be the difference.

Using the radar readings you might prefer pitcher-a.

However the Revfire gives more of an indication of how long a hitter gets to see the ball. So while it's speed reading is incorrect, it may be actually giving you more important information.

So, everything else being equal ... do you go with the pitcher with higher radar readings or higher Revfire readings?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1