Returning after 8 years

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I am returning to coaching again after an 8 year layoff. The program my DD plays travel for is looking to expand. I will be the 12U '98 coach. When I stopped coaching years ago, I said I was done for good. Once it is in your system, you can't get rid of the bug. I am looking forward to working with my DD on a different level. She can't even remember the last game I coached. Are there any rule changes in the last decade that might be important to know? Looks like I will be spending some time reading current rule books. Funny how things work out. I have been around the game since I was a little kid. This will be the first time stepping on the field with one of my own.

Feb 15, 2011
FL
Here in FL, it's not about the rule changes in the last eight years as it seems to be in the last week. I guess it's not so much the rule changes as the interpretation changes. You still have Umps that will tell you straight up they will not call a strike at the knees. Some will call a leap as an illegal pitch all day long while the next field over the same pitcher is never called. A friend was at a tournament last weekend and they called an illegal pitch for striding outside the rubber, without any lines marked in the circle. That part of the game will never change. Another real problem is the differing rules between the alphabet associations. Most of the directors however seem to be pretty good about talking with you regarding their particular rules and some even post them online.

Not sure where you are in FL, my daughter is a 98 pitcher looking for a new team in or around Sarasota county. Either way, good luck with the team.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
The DD is a '97 pitcher. We live in the northeast, where its cold and the girls throw inside in a gym in the winter. Many of the girls pick up the bad habit of replanting and not draggiing when throwing on a wood floor in the Winter. It takes several weeks working outside for them to remember to twist on the pitching plate and drag the toe.

Early in the season the umpires will come over to the coach and say " I know its early in the year and I won't call it, but make sure your pitcher works with her PC on the leap/drag as later in the year we will have to call it."

OMG joemcq51. I pray for you. I took off about 9-10 years too. Now back in the mix, I really want out. I've never seen so many breast-feeding parents. They make excuses for their kid, do all the talking for them, constantly disrespect and disagree with the coaches about the most stupid things just to fight. They say they love what you can offer their kid and want them pushed out of the box, but gripe about the number of practices you have, show up late when they do show up, fuss about how far and often you travel away from home. You can't push anyone out of the box if they never step into the box. They can't just let the coach do their job. "My" kids do what I tell them to and teach them, but if conditioning seems to be too tough or practices too long, the parents just lose their minds out here. Its just pitiful and they are hurting their own kid in the long run. Some kid gets pushed hard and allowed to whine about it to daddy, they quit and daddy runs out and starts his own team. We probably have 200+ teams in our metro area and 150 of them are playing with 9 or 10 players because girls are spread so thin. I can't count the number of teams advertising they need 2 or 3 more players to start the spring season. Thats the biggest change I've seen. I pray you don't have to put up with that sort of mess and wish you all the luck and thank you for you service to your girls.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55