ReTaping bat grip

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
Does anyone know how to do this? Are there directions somewhere?
an I bring it tosomeone to get this done..

My 12 year old has a good bat with lots of life left, but grip tape/wrap coming undone.

Mar 15, 2010
My DD was going through synthetic bat grips about every two weeks. On the advice of a fellow coach I changed to Easton Leather Grip and it lasted nearly 6 weeks.

Sep 3, 2009
Cloth athletic tape. DD told me early one sunday morning before we left for her braket games..
DD.. "the grip on my bat came off yesterday, so I threw it away".
Me.. "........ "

It was athletic tape, or nothing. She elected for the athletic tape. Now, she will ask me to take the grip off a new bat, and put the cloth tape on. She says she feels like she has more control of the bat.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
Cloth athletic tape. DD told me early one sunday morning before we left for her braket games..
DD.. "the grip on my bat came off yesterday, so I threw it away".
Me.. "........ "

It was athletic tape, or nothing. She elected for the athletic tape. Now, she will ask me to take the grip off a new bat, and put the cloth tape on. She says she feels like she has more control of the bat.

Carefully check the rules, dont go crazy with the tape. You are only allowed a certain number of layers of tape in ASA, if you plan on champioship play, you want to be legal.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
While we're mentioning bat grip, make sure all of it is intact. I see girls with the top piece of tape coming off the wrap and dangling. Umps here don't like it, we must tape it up.

I've had to get my bat retaped. I paid $6 for the stuff and the woman at the batting cage did it for me, she said she did them all the time and did a darn good job. I honestly should have tipped her, it was way better than I could have done.

Sep 3, 2009
Carefully check the rules, dont go crazy with the tape. You are only allowed a certain number of layers of tape in ASA, if you plan on champioship play, you want to be legal.

You're correct on that. It's not bulked up. It's really only one layer, each wrap is overlapping the last half way. It's overall, less diameter than it would be with the normal grip.

While we're mentioning bat grip, make sure all of it is intact. I see girls with the top piece of tape coming off the wrap and dangling. Umps here don't like it, we must tape it up.

They check here too... one of my dd's teamates had a grip coming off and unwrapping during a game. It was only a small part opposite end of the knob. When she went up to bat, Blue told her she couldn't use it. I've since added a roll of black electrical tape to my dd's bag just in case.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
Thank you!
I think I will just try to re-wind the tape ... if that doesn't work, I will look into a grip.
Bat is a couple years old with only one tourn left this year for he (she won't hit too much there)

Today might be a good day to do that...looks like rain!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207