Results from this weekend and questions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
Just wanted to get some thoughts from others about my DD results from this weekend and ask a few questions. Our team just moved to 12U and this was our first tournament.

My DD pitched a complete (timed) game and faced 14 batters total.

She had 3 Ks, 2 BB, and gave up total of 3 hits (two grounders through the infield, one was a good hard shot up the middle, one bunt). All other batters that made contact grounded out, three back to pitcher.

We won the game and this is the most consistent she looked pitching, speed was very consistent. As I have posted before, changed pitching coaches about 2 months ago and all she is doing now is locating her fastball at this point. No change up, etc. since we changed. (she was taught originally to throw about 7 pitches, hello elbow, etc).

Here are my questions....

1) At this age level/experience what kind of stats do you share with your DD....do you get into ball/ strike count or keep it basic like I listed above?

2) What are your thoughts on her stats and is this typical for pitchers her age?

3) She does this more in games....she has a slight lean forward when she is pitching. I think she isn't dragging her foot enough to stay upright or not opening up enough?? What can you do to work on that and what is usually the cause?

Thanks so much...the advice I am getting on this site is really helping me help my DD become a better pitcher.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
2) What are your thoughts on her stats and is this typical for pitchers her age?

Pretty good effort! ... If this were an average performance for you daughter and the opponent is an average team, then your daughter would be an above-average pitcher for level she's playing. The other team hit .250 against her with no extra-base hits. Typical 12U teams might hit .300-325 (or at least mine consistently have done that). The three strikeouts and two walks are just average. Remember that stats are meaningful only within the context of the competition she's facing, not all of 12U. And it's only one game. :) But for one game, she was above average, IMO.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
When she was new at pitching I stuck with the good job stat. She got a "good job" from me after every game (even when it wasn't all that good) and then we would talk about aspects of the game that she wanted to talk about, which with her was usually what she didn't do right.

When she had pitched a few years I started to talk about precentage of strikes and first pitch strikes. By 14u we would talk about Batting Average against and ERA, Ks per 7 innings and pitches per inning and game.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Talk on stats;

Coach - Did ya do the best you could?
Pitcher - Yes
Coach - Then you did great! By the way, ya got three strike outs
Pitcher - Cool
Coach - OK, next game you're gonna get 4 right?
Pitcher - YES
Coach - That's good cause if ya dont,,,, you gotta give me a footrub!
Pitcher - EEEEEEWWWW!

It's all about the appropriate incentives / thnreats! :)

Mar 31, 2011
Walks. At 12u they turn into runs. DD would have from 3-13 K per game. But the walks were always within 1 run of the score. The goal I talk about to her is no walks. Force the batter to swing at pitches they do not like. Make them put the ball in play and trust your teammates to take care of the rest.

The only time I bring up K's is when she gets down about a strike zone or a big hit. I keep reminding her the team can win without a strike out, but will lose with very many walks.

The K's, stats and shutouts are just for me to brag about at work. I am sure they have value, but at her age walks determin wins.

Jul 17, 2012
The barometer of how well a pitcher threw the ball at this age is a very tricky measurement. Depending on the competition, she could have a relatively lousy outing and still post a win with good stats. On the other hand, facing a tough team, she could throw a great game by HER standards and get torched for a 10 run loss. Too much emphasis on the end result of the game at this age could be the wrong feedback. I would tend to focus on her velocity, change of speed, and loaction. Those are the big 3 in my opinion at the 12U level. Did she get hit becuase she was grooving the ball? Was her velocity down? Did she fail to change speeds effectively?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs