Repant, fix or let it go.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 10, 2010
Replant, fix or let it go.

DD is now 14 u and has been replanting almost from the beginning. [ 4 or 5 years ] Until a few illegal pitch calls and a lot of reading and research did I realize the problem. First two PC's never mentioned it and I was going to them for their expertise. Initially she was leaping [ off the ground ] and then replanting. Her and I fixed the leaping and got her drag foot down and at that time I thought she was fine. Not realizing, at the time, you could drag your foot yet still replant. [ slow motion camera helped with that ] Her current PC is aware of it says its so slight and not to worry about it. I agree to a certain extent because in lessons it is much better and very slight. But come game time it seems to get much worse.
As far as her motion { I know video would be big help but she'll be graduated before I figure how to post a video ] she has a very big stride and begins to turn her foot almost immediately. Two points, one she throws as hard in her warmup position which is basically standing at 45 degree and what we call up together down together and two, if I take the ball out of her hand her stride is perfect, toe drags, her drag line looks like the nike swoosh. In my mind as soon as she has to actually throw she over rotates from the get go.

Now the gist of my post, should I do anything ? She throws in the high 50's on a very good travel team, in addition, I probably saw at least 10 pitchers in the recent college games replant. She pitched for her school team and has been in several ASA tournaments this year and not one IP. I respect the advice of the people on this forum and look forward to your input

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
If it is not being called right now, if you can wait until a break in seasons or if you have 3-4 weeks off playing to fix it. I am fixing a couple of leaping issues in season with two of my pitchers because they are being called right now and doing it within the season is not fun.

But fix it you must.

You never know when the Blues will be instructed to put emphasis on it or when they might just decide to call it in a bad spot which from comments from some umpires on this board seems to be the case - "Call when you see an advantage" seems to be the guidance which is vague and could mean to some 'bottom of the inning, bases loaded - time to call an IP'.

Then what do you do?

As a coach you have to consider pulling her for someone else if it is not something that can be corrected in-game. You KNOW it is illegal so you can't really be angry with the umpires for calling it (unlike a few College coaches in the CWS were). Also if it is like around here, getting called for an IP gets around the other teams very quickly and now they are looking for it and asking Blue about it.

Jul 26, 2010
Fix it. Replanting is cheating, and being a parent teaching that cheating is not okay is more important then winning softball games as a teenager.

-W

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Ultimately this is a personal integrity issue. If you believe in following the rules, fix it. If you believe the ends justifies the means, then don't.

On a personal note, this is one of the major reasons I am considering not umpiring anymore. I am tired of paying hundreds of dollars in clinic fees, uniform costs, etc. only to be told by my own UIC not to call IPs "if there's no advantage being gained".

As a parent of a pitcher, I take pride in the fact that DD pitches within the rules. If she is called for an IP (no more than 10 in 7 years of pitching) she immediately corrects it because she knows Mom and I expect her to pitch correctly.

May 10, 2010
To clarify, not trying to cheat, not advocating cheating simply a bad habit that we have not been successful in fixing despite countless hours of practice and lots of paid lessons. My post is first about fixing, however if a rule change is on the near horizon, as perhaps evidenced in the recent CWS,perhaps we should put our focus on other facets of pitching. [ Her speed has picked up nicely over the last two years but we do spend a lot of time trying to fix the replant ]

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
To clarify, not trying to cheat, not advocating cheating simply a bad habit that we have not been successful in fixing despite countless hours of practice and lots of paid lessons. My post is first about fixing, however if a rule change is on the near horizon, as perhaps evidenced in the recent CWS,perhaps we should put our focus on other facets of pitching. [ Her speed has picked up nicely over the last two years but we do spend a lot of time trying to fix the replant ]

There is no rule change on the horizon. The umpires were simply enforcing (when seen) a rule that has been in the rule book for women's play for decades. Replanting is illegal, plain and simple. Until women are allowed to pitch like the men, replanting will continue to be illegal. And if your DD's pitching instructors don't see a problem with the replanting, then shame on them too.

May 23, 2012
I tend to agree with others who have posted... If you know she is pitching illegally (whether to cheat or not), you should fix the issue. I understand it's hard and she will have to break that habit and form new muscle memory - but in the end you both will be better for it.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Bill Hillhouse states that a replant is not a problem with the feet, but is a hitch in the arm circle. Which makes sense since she is doing her drills correctly. Good luck. It is going to take a lot of reps, to fix the replant, I know.

May 17, 2012
Can someone explain the replanting in a little more detail? I have never noticed it before? I assume this helps the pitchers speed hence the reason it's illegal?

Thanks

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Can someone explain the replanting in a little more detail? I have never noticed it before? I assume this helps the pitchers speed hence the reason it's illegal?

Thanks

ASA says "A crow hop is defined as the act of a pitcher who steps, hops, or drags off the front of the pitcher's plate, replants the pivot foot, establishing a second impetus (or starting point), pushes off from the newly-established starting point and completes the delivery." Typically the terms "replanting" and "crowhopping" are used interchangeably.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors