Release point

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 16, 2010
Java

I have read your thread on drive mechanics and it's great. Buuuut I'm not so sure I'm liking this drill. Why is this non realistic and or legal footwork drill better than the rthyme drill or rocking drill that you do with your feet in a legal way. Can you explain why this is better than just doing the footwork the way you would do it with an actual pitch. I'm not seeing the benefit here. Can you clarify why this is better than what I just described, thanks and I don't wish to argue only to get clarification and pick your brain and get your thoughts behind this drill, also is their a part two that will include a pitch. Thanks

Curveball King

I believe this (pasted from #78 of the Drive Mechanics sticky) is the answer to your bolded question above: "to teach pitchers how to create what I call “stationary momentum”, teaching them immediate weight transfer, and establishing momentum through a rearward (or negative) move."

I watch a lot of 12U and HS games (2 dds pitch) and the weight transfer javasource describes is absent in most of the young pitchers I see. However, now that javasource has explained it, I see it in most of the best pitchers.

I believe the illegal raising of the foot during the drill is to allow the pitcher to feel and understand the power/momentum gains possible from efficient weight transfer. Once that feeling/understanding is gained, the pitcher can stop lifting (or lifting a tiny amount so as not to get called for an IP) in normal game delivery.

My 11-yr-old incorporated the weight transfer into her delivery easily after standing in on front of the computer and doing the drill along with the video once. I think the sliding of the drive foot backward in this drill actually lessens the likelihood of a "gym step" (picking up the drive foot and moving it in front of the rubber before pushing off).

I'm not javasource and there are dozens of folks here smarter than me on this and I hope one of them will set us straight if I answered incorrectly.

Good luck.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Here's the front shot. I think this guy's mechanics are quite impressive in spite of the fact it falls a little to his left just after release.

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
Here's the front shot. I think this guy's mechanics are quite impressive in spite of the fact it falls a little to his left just after release.

I don't see anything unusual. Abbott does the exact same thing. I think you have to pass a certain threshold of drive energy to make this happen (but it's natural, not a mechanical flaw) and 90% of pitchers simply don't have the leg power to achieve this. IMHO

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I'll tell you what...... Both of those clips I just posted are going to be viewed by my pitching students, as I see it as being rich with good mechanics.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I agree the pitcher does some really good things, but his indirect drive and lean are unique. Prolly fun to experiment with, though.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Curveball... you're new to posting on this site. So welcome. I really hope you are asking for the reasons you state. As a pseudo-cagey veteran on here... the name "Curveball King"... is similar to Screwball... which is synonymous with OILF. I hope you are an individual and not her third personality... as she has tried to lambaste the 2-step in utter futility... posting imaginary percentages of pitchers that do not use it... and saying that gym steps are the preferred movements of the next anti-Christ... all the while repeatedly defining 'false load' incorrectly.

I tell you this because you're new... and understand that I'm sorta reserved... as I've no interest in debating with multiple personalities. So, sorry if I seem sorta ornery.

I'm not an expert and would never claim to be... but you will find that many of the quality posters on here aren't afraid to stick there neck out there... and back up their statements with what they believe is proof (right or wrong). Simply saying that a pitcher is all goofy because of his posture... or that a you're not sure about a drill... is fine and all... but sorta limiting... as to the quality of conversation it can lead to.

I just want you to know, that each and every question you asked... is answered in the video... and the thread... repeatedly. The explanations I have provided well exceed the canned answers I could provide in a single post (in response to your questions). In addition to that, I've posted numerous videos of the 2-step motion performed by high-level pitchers. I really recommend that you read that thread (Drive Mechanics) in search of your answers... as I'm cool with debate/discussion... but not at the expense of duplicating that work - when it's all there in one repository (fairly well organized). If you still have questions after looking through that thread.. and considering what Ken, Pumpkinbear, Doug, etc... have posted on here, let me know.

Again, welcome to the site... really hope you become a great contributor!

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Boy, I see in this male pitcher a lot of what Hillhouse, Boardmember (I/R), Pauly (brush interference), Javasource (drive mechanics), and stuff other pitcher experts on this thread have been advocating!

35ks6dc.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad