Release point

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
The next question is what about your sliders? Rick Pauley teaches his students to slide their drag foot across. Another way of doing it. I don't agree that rocking while throwing a pitch causes gym foot. Or is illegal, when you rock your feet stay on the rubber, clearly this is the case.

Agreed. Rocking causing a gym step is like blaming spoons for making people fat. Improper mechanics is the cause of a gym step. Despite the claims of a previous post rocking in and of itself is certainly legal.

Jun 11, 2014
I don't buy exaggerating anything to learn a skill, whether throwing or pitching. That creates thinking, losing momentum, lack of fluidity, and gives the impression the skill is 'not natural' to the kids and they must "focus" on every position rather than results. And then they have a tough time letting go.

Oilfield...I don't agree...the good thing about exaggeration is you get the student to FEEL what they are doing. I believe that is huge in training, the person being trained can gain a feel that he's never felt before by exaggeration...most drills in hitting are exactly that. Rick Pauley's knee yo gut drill is another that comes to mind. It's all about getting them to feel it. Wether it's weight transfer in pitching or hip action in hitting....feel is where it's at

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2014
Agreed. Rocking causing a gym step is like blaming spoons for making people fat. Improper mechanics is the cause of a gym step. Despite the claims of a previous post rocking in and of itself is certainly legal.

I agree. If both feet are in contact...where's the beef? Hell who call IP anymore anyway. You get looked at like you are an idiot if you try to get the ump to keep the pitcher from leaping now days any way. More cro hopping going on than ever

Jun 11, 2014

What is your definition of gym step? If it's foot turning sideways...heck a lot of pitchers do this also at the highest level..including a slight turn of the foot by Ueno also

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Boy, I see in this male pitcher a lot of what Hillhouse, Boardmember (I/R), Pauly (brush interference), Javasource (drive mechanics), and stuff other pitcher experts on this thread have been advocating!

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Other exaggerated drills to help create a feel:
-Walk throughs
-Flamingos
-Throwing a bat
-Hello elbow (DOH!)

A gym step is when the drive foot breaks contact with the rubber and replants to drive. (Sorry if someone already covered this)

The two step is a tool for those who need help feeling the load/explode sequence. There's nothing wrong with other ways of getting into the critical position, as long as they get there. I'm just finding that the two-step really makes it click for kids. Try both ways. See what works for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misscoug