"Regular" vs Metal cleats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
Metal is superior in every way so long as the rules permit. A few things to watch for:

- Make sure she has sandals or something to wear, she should put her cleats on at the field, not the parking lot
- Make sure she knows how to slide correctly. If she's sliding with her foot on the ground she'll twist or break her ankle wearing metal cleats. Most kids learn this around 10 but I see "special" kids at 16u all the time who didn't.

-W

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
DD is moving up to 16U next month. So somebody please learn me about the difference in foot wear.

With metal, there can be no mistakes. She will need to learn to pick-up her feet, not drag or slide them. It is possible for the metal cleats to do "too" good of a job in keeping traction. It isn't necessarily dangerous, but can be more demanding than the polys.

However, IMO, the most important part is to make sure she starts her slides on the thigh or rump and never lead with the feet.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Metal is the best. It is all we ever had and I started at age 10. Then, when my kids started things had moved to rubber cleats. I think they (rubber) are awful and they feel like toy spikes, instead of the real thing.

One of my favorite sounds is metal spikes on concrete.:)

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Metal spikes are great on dirt and grass, but uncomfortable, not the best traction option, and actually may be prohibited on some types of artificial turf. Practice sliding and make sure the technique is good before/when changing to metal from plastic - try it in practice or on your own rather than in a game for the first time. Slide poorly with metal and you pay the price. I've seen (and heard) lots of severely sprained and broken ankles - girls AND boys.

Nov 29, 2009
DD is moving up to 16U next month. So somebody please learn me about the difference in foot wear.

Once she puts on metal cleats she will never want to wear molded spikes again. I know mine didn't until she was done playing ball and played some slow pitch with her friends.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Once she puts on metal cleats she will never want to wear molded spikes again. I know mine didn't until she was done playing ball and played some slow pitch with her friends.

... and that is the truth! My dd is playing college. She didn't wear metal until last fall. It was an adjustment to say the least. I wish she would have worn them earlier. Now, it is all she wants to wear. However, the comment about sandals or some open air footwear is a good one. When the game is over, the first thing my dd wants to do is get those metal cleats off.

Jun 11, 2012
The sliding is the most important part. I thought my DD was sliding correctly but when I "cleared" the slideing lane and had her slide, I noticed her front foot was "lagging" and catching the ground before it went up slightly. Spent about an hour and a half (breaks included) to get her to slide properly. Then several more practices. DD loves the spikes as she wears them on her JV team and hates having to wear them in TB (14u).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g