Reccomendations: Switch Glove Size for 16u third base ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 14, 2013
Daughter has a 4-yr old 12.5" TPS with basket-weave "pocket" that is on it's last leg. Need to upgrade and, go figure, DD's initial reaction is to replace with the same glove... or at least same glove size and style. Since we purchased the TPS, she has switched from the outfield to playing 3rd almost exclusively on both her travel and HS teams. Logical approach would be to take her to a shop that carries top quality gloves and try them on but that's not a real option in our remote location. She is worried about switching to a smaller size - say a 12"... but she has never tried one out that fits. Her hand size is relatively small, especially for her body size.... 5' 6" / 170 lbs.

She did try a Wilson A2000 superskin A2V125-SS on at a tournament and liked the fit - but it is advertised as an outfielders glove and is 12.5" Any suggestions? Thank you for your input!

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Most older age group infielders will use anything from a 11" to a 12" glove as a general rule. However, my DD uses a 12.5" when she plays first base. That is the size she is used to using, the size she is comfortable with and the size that fits her hand the best. If your DD wants the same glove or style of glove, what's the issue? Obviously, from what I have inferred ftom your post she is a quality IF player so why would you reduce her chances of stopping a ball with a smaller (less square area) glove than she is accustomed to? Granted, it's not a whole bunch smaller but in a game of inches, every little bit helps.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
I would go with the same glove, also. I have 3 of the same one, currently. Once you find a glove that you like, it is hard to find another one. Losing a 12inch ball in a 12.5 inch glove isn't likely.

Sep 14, 2013
Thanks YoCoach... I hear you! Her current glove is definitely heavy and an outfielder's model. Not that it's been an issue using an outfielder's glove at 3rd, it's just she has never tried anything else, so who knows what her game would be with different gear - perhaps something made specifically for 3rd base. I never gave much thought (or money! lol) on her current $40 on-sale glove, but rather, spent my hard-earned $ on private lessons to teach her how to use it. With her current glove being akin to a floppy rag, grandma is offering to buy her a new one - and of her choice! Asked her instructor for input and she laughed... wouldn't touch that question saying something like "never again will she try to predict the preference and acceptance of a female teenage psyche". LOL

The Wilson A2000 superskin A2V125-SS she tried on was definitely lighter than her old floppy TPS and she liked that aspect, especially in combination with how it fit her small hand. It did, however, look to me like it had a deeper pocket, perhaps not best suited for infield? Not sure of this, which kept me from pulling the trigger on one for $179. We went into town today and tried on some 12" models (choice limited to inexpensive gloves chain SG store) and she was not happy with the smaller gloves. I really don't know that much about the gear, having never played ball myself. I do know whatever she chooses, it needs to inspire confidence. I know she likes what she has because 1) she has had some success with it, and 2) she doesn't know anything different! It's like when I bought my first pair of high-quality running shoes - my only regret was I didn't do it YEARS AGO! I just didn't know any better. I've read some gloves like Nokona and Akedema are advertised to fit a smaller female hand and also have 12.5" infield models but they look really heavy. Again... apologize for my lack of knowledge here and appreciate suggestions. I do know anything that will help to speed up her reaction time at 3rd would benefit her play. Thanks again for input.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Is there any chance of getting that old glove looking new again? Glovesmiths can do wonders with them. Of course, you might not want to spend the $$ fixing up an older glove.

I had to literally steal my DD glove one night, to re-string it. It was totally broke and she was using it that way.

Since you say that you never played, each glove should have a loop inside the little finger and the thumb. If she can get her fingers in those and close the glove, it fits. Also the pocket and the various types of webs are very important. And then there is the closure on the back of the wrist. Some girls like to be able to tighten those. Some are velcro and some are leather tied. Actually, there is a lot to know about gloves.

Does she want to play in college? If not, I would let her be. If so, she needs to look at some teams and see what gloves they are wearing. Many gloves are furnished and she won't have a say so.

Oct 10, 2011
glove

There are much better Webs for 3rd base than a basket weave. .. take a look at Vinci's RV1961. My DD plays 3rd with a custom version of that(18u). Its 12.75 but Is more like 12.5. DD tried 12 but liked this much better. 12 would be better for middle infielders. Casedawg is the man to talk to about gloves and better pricing.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Justwondering22, you are definitely correct in your assessment. DD's 12.5" glove is a Nokona and it is definitely a heavier glove as is the other gloves you mentioned. However, this is due to them being made with 100% heavy duty leather instead of a composite of a thinner leather and vinyl/fake leather. A Nokona or Akadema will give your DD many years of use as opposed to those lighter weight gloves. What it will come down to is two things. 1) what your budget is and 2) what your DD is used to and has confidence in. IMO a heavier glove is not necessarily a detriment unless they are constantly lifting it much as a pitcher does. Even then, once they are used to it, it isn't an issue for many girls. My DD used to pitch before she transitioned to Catcher. For 4 years she used her Nokona 12.5" glove at both first base and pitching. It has lasted the past 4 years of TB practices twice a week as well as a 80-100 game schedule each year and still looks as if it may last her through another 5-8 years. As I said before, heavier is not necessarily a detriment and can save you a ton of money in the long run.

Sep 14, 2013
Thank you all for the suggestions and information... I'm definitely learning! As for the questions - Yes... It does look like DD will have an opportunity to play in college. She is currently a junior in HS so two more seasons of HS and travel ball and off to college she goes. I can't imagine fixing up the older glove as it would cost more than I paid for it and the "welt" (?) is all broken down. I'm sure I applied way too much conditioner on it in my "crash coarse phase" of being a softball parent! Will contact casedog for his suggestions... txs. The Wilson 12.5 A2000 DD tried on doesn't sound like the basket weave webbing is best suited for third, but it was lighter, on sale and she liked it - especially when compared to ANY the 12" gloves she tried. As for cost, grandma's is willing to spend whatever it costs.... Gift to grand-DD for being on honor roll sophomore year! Thanks again to all for their input and helping out a softball neophyte with what is to be a big purchase for us!

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
Thanks for the additional info. Some college coaches do want a small glove used in the infield. Coach Candrea, doesn't want the ball going into the pocket, but that is past my level of expertise.

Aug 8, 2010
I prefer more open webbing types at 3rd, such as an H-web or Net T. They seem to lock in hard spinning balls at 3rd quicker. You can get a little more skid/bobble from a basket web. Not a huge difference but if you are making a change might as well think of all the angles. 12-12.5 is the popular range for 3rd with the main caveat being that the glove needs a wide softball specific pocket. Some 12.5 gloves have a tall, narrow baseball profile so don't just look at the height alone. Shoot me an email and I can show you some options in the Vinci line if interested.

Casey
howell@syrupcity.net

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01