Rec Tryouts, what to look for?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 9, 2009
SoCal - OC
Rec Eval day (Evals cuz all girls get placed on a team) this weekend. Draft follows a couple of days later.

Format is 5 swings off machine, run to second after 5th pitch, Field 3 hit balls at SS and throw to first, 3 pop flys in LF, throw 2 to cutoff and 1 to home. Pitchers and catchers have additional time to show their stuff.

It is pretty easy to draft the first 3 players (best pitchers and catchers available) and easy to determine the girls that will be in the last rounds, but how do you get the best bang for the buck in rounds 4-8 (we carry 10 in rec and have a call up system to fill absences)? My opinion is that teams win consistently by getting the couple of unknown girls that go in rounds 5,6,7 that really end up as girls that could have/should have gone in rounds 3 or 4.

Question to ponder: What do you look for in the brief eval to find the diamond in the rough?

Jul 26, 2010
Attitude and coachability. I spend a LOT of time talking to the girls the whole time they're trying out, you learn a lot more that way then you do watching them hit 5 balls off a machine.

I have a chart that I make and rate them all 1-5 in various categories including: throwing, catching, hitting, running, attitude, desire". I put an asterisk next to their number for every great play they make during tryouts. Everyone has their own system I imagine.

-W

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I have always put a premium on fielding. A generalization, I know, but if they look coordinate fielding I always thought I can teach them to hit.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I look for throwing and catching. It takes a tremendous amount of time teach a kid 'from scratch' how to catch and throw, and in rec ball, you just don't have that kind of time.

Dec 9, 2009
SoCal - OC
To add on to Ray's point, we only have 6 practices of 1 1/2 hrs each prior to season start. This is for U12, so hopefully most can catch. Throwing....we'll see. To follow on Quincy's, I too look for the coordinated kid/athletic girl especially their footwork which I feel tells me a lot about their athletic ability. Unfortunately, the coaches are kind of isolated off to the side so talking to all the girls is tough to do, but I like that idea.

MDG

Jan 24, 2009
Given the very limited amount of practices and the brevity of the eval, I'd look for fast runners and good arms. These qualities can't be coached up much in a rec scenario. If a girl is speedy and can throw reasonably well then she likely has decent hand-eye coordination for catching/fielding/hitting and these are easier to improve.

May 25, 2010
Check out the parents. Take the kid with the nice folks.
Quoted for truth. Oftentimes, a serious focus on winning - which is different from being competitive - in rec ball brings out the seriously crazy.

The evaluation day only gives you a tiny picture of what a girl is at that moment, and an even smaller picture of what she can become within a few months.

Other coaches have been scouting their 12u teams since the girls were in 6u, so unless you've done that as well, you've got some catching up to do. ;)

Jan 15, 2009
I look for throwing and catching. It takes a tremendous amount of time teach a kid 'from scratch' how to catch and throw, and in rec ball, you just don't have that kind of time.

I'm pretty close to agreeing with you on this, but might put more emphasis on throwing than catching. I think catching the ball can be learned quicker than throwing. If I had only one drill to evaluate players on, I might literally have them all stand on one foul line and throw towards the opposite home run fence and take the longest throws.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez