Rec Tryouts, what to look for?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 13, 2011
Basic athleticism

Age makes a big difference. Catching and throwing would be the basics as far as softball skills go that you can see in a short time. Younger ages would not be expected to have as developed skills to compete as older players. The 'Diamond in the Rough' will come with the natural athlete. If the older player has not played softball before, have they played other sports (soccer, basketball) and how good were they? The basic indicator for athletic success that can be viewed and measured in a brief tryout is speed/quickness as measured by 1) running speed and 2) vertical jump. As long as they are motivated and coach-able, you can teach them a lot and they will have the natural tools to implement on the field. Vertical jump is a raw indicator of quickness that can be easily measured. Slower, less athletic players can be good but they are harder to judge in a short time frame.

Jan 30, 2010
We dont get a evaluation day.You have to know the girl to make your best judgement.
This is why I am getting involved with the board of our rec org. No volunteer coach will come back next year if they end up with 80% first year girls.I would not blame them either.Theres alot of things that need to be changed or refined for this org.

Mar 3, 2011
GA
Our evals are similar to yours. I coach an 8U rec team. We use a pitching machine at this age so we don't have that part of the evals. I look for kids with good attitudes, parents that are not crazy, girls that really enjoy being on the field and then girls with the most ability. In that order.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez