Rear Leg Swings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
A major league roster is 25 players: 12 pitchers and 13 position players. 13 hitters x 30 teams = Some of the 390 best hitters on the entire planet don't have a "high level swing." Interesting.

Doesn't mean you don't at least try for that 'HL swing'.:p

May 3, 2014
Thanks for posting your hitters back when we were at HI and sharing how well they were doing.

You're welcome.

They are doing much better now that they using both legs/hips and their core. I would share some clips but it would just cause confusion. People with an open mind have seen the progress.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
We are all after the HL swing.. The difference is within the movement pattern that is the cause...

Rich (HI) see these movement patterns as a match, and others see the movement pattern as a whole body movement pattern.. Rich will claim anything not matching his pattern is a push.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
They are doing much better now that they using both legs/hips and their core.
I'll bet those hitters were always using both legs/hips and their core. It's the how that is important.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
I know the gif you are speaking of. If you are a member of BBD you might want to ask mudvnine. I believe that was his DS. I don't want to speak for mud on the intent or thoughts being promoted. I believe if I did the thread would end badly. JMHO.

Mud is the man. Seriously... His student videos speak for themselves.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Thanks RD. I was just searching for those gifs. A couple things; I never really go into the one legged drill but have absolutely nothing against. It is just a matter of what works to get the kid improvement. The one legged drill, snf drill, and the such (along with the uptick barrel turn drill that haters often call a barrel dump)... #1 they are drills! Haters will always post that it doesn't match the swing the best are doing....well they are a drill. #2. It's about getting the kids or yourself improvement. If you are working with kids and yourself as hard as you should be, you know you have plenty of time to figure out what works for you and the kid and what doesn't work. They people that go nutso on here that act like if you do a one legged drill you are doomed for life are quit clearly not swinging enough or at all to be thinking/saying "it ruined my child". If it isn't making improvement, don't do it. #3. The first thing I was told by TM when I started talking o him about HI, (I don't talk to him anymore, no reason, just don't. And my thoughts on the swing are MINE, no one else!), we talked about kids. Kids that hit hard almost always hit hard with a ton of forward momentum. These drills are about learning to hit hard WITHOUT any forward momentum. THEN when you learn to hit hard without pushing forward, forward movement can be introduced.

Now One legged swinging, no front leg. I wrote a ton about it on fp26 thread on bbd. Builder also wrote the same ideas. Go read it, see how several who already know (well except SL can't understand) misrepresent it.

So your hang up is here..

A swing is an explosive movement, explosive move, shift, change. They don't sit equally balanced and rotate (like around the spine)
(not a 2 legged belief)
and here...

Can't do this with two equally weighted legs
2 equally weighted legs at all times? ( not a 2 legged belief)

and then show this as 'your' example of 2 legged hitting?

jbooth1.gif

\
(not a good example for anyone)

Then SB says...

the lead hip pulls the lead leg straight from a braced INTO position. What I call one legged because the rear leg is pulling the rear hip.

And that's all before the end of page 2. Is there any wonder why there's confusion on both sides trying to translate the other guy's words and come to a conclusion based on statements made. Oh wait. I remember...

Don't wanna kick it off again but jeesh, you don't understand 2 legged hitting except for what you see in a spinny 2 planted foot swing. That's not it.

for the record here. The clip below is NOT a 1 legged swing to me. The front leg is preset out of the way. That's 2 legged ... See how She uses Her front leg as an outrigger to balance and clear the way?
ullhands_zps615df137.gif

Last edited:

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
I'm not here to teach you RHC. I would like to see more balance in your descriptions.

Do you agree Her front leg has a purpose here or is the rear hip in total control?

ullhands_zps615df137.gif

May 24, 2013
So Cal
If I recall correctly, this...
jbooth1.gif

...was a failed attempt by this particular instructor to try something that was new to him. Even he knew it was bad. Because of that, I don't think it's fair to use it as an example for anyone's idea of a good swing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC