Rear Hip Isolation - Resistance Drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Without getting into the RVP (RightView Pro) description of "addition" ... let me simply state that there is a common position, that has been identified by several hitting systems, in which the high-level swing passes through.

o The RVP system refers to it as the "Connection Point".
o Mankin refers to it as the "Power-V" position.
o Emanski refers to it as the "Explosion Point" position.
o HI refers to it as the "Swearing In Position".
o Yeager refers to it as "Down through the nipple".

They all refer to this position shown below ...

image001.gif

image003.gif

image007.gif

In the above clips you can see the "Power-V" position highlighted in 'red' ... that being a pinched forearm-to-bicep as the hands pass by the rear shoulder ... aligning the hands, rear shoulder, rear elbow, and rear hip.

Then there is the "Lazy-L" position, which you'll want to avoid ....

image009.gif

And then there is the flaw in which the rear elbow is seen to be ahead, at this position, which many people use as confirmation of 'bat drag'. That said, a good swing will boarder on 'bat drag' ... and hence I'm not a big fan of ultra conservative approaches that restrict 'bat drag' to the point of taking a kid 'away from the pattern'.

Epstein calls it the Universal Launch Position. He also refers to the position that Bonds gets in at the end of his clip, the Torque Position. This is the position I look for when working with players. If a hitter can get into this Torque position on time, they are in really good position to hit the ball.

R

RayR

Without getting into the RVP (RightView Pro) description of "addition" ... let me simply state that there is a common position, that has been identified by several hitting systems, in which the high-level swing passes through.

o The RVP system refers to it as the "Connection Point".
o Mankin refers to it as the "Power-V" position.
o Emanski refers to it as the "Explosion Point" position.
o HI refers to it as the "Swearing In Position".
o Yeager refers to it as "Down through the nipple".

They all refer to this position shown below ...

image001.gif

image003.gif

image007.gif

In the above clips you can see the "Power-V" position highlighted in 'red' ... that being a pinched forearm-to-bicep as the hands pass by the rear shoulder ... aligning the hands, rear shoulder, rear elbow, and rear hip.

Then there is the "Lazy-L" position, which you'll want to avoid ....

image009.gif

And then there is the flaw in which the rear elbow is seen to be ahead, at this position, which many people use as confirmation of 'bat drag'. That said, a good swing will boarder on 'bat drag' ... and hence I'm not a big fan of ultra conservative approaches that restrict 'bat drag' to the point of taking a kid 'away from the pattern'.

What would this position be called?

Attachments

• Lazy L.JPG
    Lazy L.JPG
    7.4 KB · Views: 45
May 11, 2009
That would be the "Holy Crap, that pitch is inside" position :)
Just kidding MTS!!

Last edited:
R

RayR

True dat! But, my point was the girls approach looks like it's a low pitch (could be wrong) and instead of the usual hands driving down to the ball with a low finish she has an approach similar to Utley. And more to the point is that the Power V is not an absolute position.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Howard, I tried this again with some of my players and we all feel the same thing. All the tension is in the arms and shoulders. We tried with robe and resistance bands from every angle behind the hitter and there are some places where you can get resistance on the hands, but why not just use the bat? I understand what you are saying about moving the weight stack with the lower body, but I really don't like the resistance being felt anywhere but the rear hip and hands.

Bob

If nothing changed except that you are holding a bat handle in lieu of a complete bat what would you feel in your hands that did not come through your arms or shoulders or from the legs up provided you started the hips before the hands.

How could you pull the stacked weights with out feeling something in the shoulders and arms and hands and wrist with an understanding the lead arm could not be straight and the position of the back elbow must be what I term stacked, as the elbow is under the hand.

How are you loading the forces with a bat that we can not replicate with just the handle of the bat verses the full size bat?

This is how I came up with the WhipHit design as I took a tennis ball with a rag glued and stuffed inside the tennis ball and drove a softball off the tee simply by holding onto the rag.

I had used the tennis ball and rag as a pitching drill for our son. I would hold my hand palm up and he would stride and hold the tennis ball and slap my outstretched hand with the rag.

I bet my friend I could do this with the tennis ball and rag on an inside, middle or away pitch and the bet was for a bottle of Jack and I won! My concept was based on when do my wrist release the ball on the rag to the ball on the tee.

Just as I feel the knob is inside the path of the ball and not directed to the ball and we release the barrel to the ball based on location and instinct.

Possibly with the females it goes hand in hand as to why the male coaches have not taught them how to throw properly and because weight shift is almost non existent in most of their swing is possibly why I find this helps them bridge the gap to understanding what they should be feeling and build on it from there.

I think all of us are looking for the Holy Grail for Hitting techniques and the MLB pattern is always being sought after. I do not know the exact count however about 800 players in the Major Leagues and 15,000 want to Be's in the feeder systems possibly and everyone wants, thinks, feels we are teaching THE pattern to some degree and have the answer or a drill that will improve our kids, students, clients, parents or coaches....the journey to get there or at least feel we are getting there is the fun part!

The girls whom I mainly work with are the data points that they are getting it and improvements are being made everyday and the Holy Grail for Hitting is still being searched for.
Working with the younger kids is a challenge and I do not try to teach them the MLB Elite Swing pattern as there are many styles which some interpret as mechanics and absolutes so I keep reading, observing and trying to find improvements and remember I am working with kids, parents and coaches trying to learn and for the kids to have fun!

I have tried to use some martial arts techniques as to striking and hip movement and throwing to get the kids to feel it from the ground up...each hitter is a work in progress and I feel I learn something from working with each kid.

From the net and a martial arts site... Center Rotation. The essence of all Martial Arts moves is the rotation of your body’s center. In China, they speak of rotating the waist and in Japan they call it turning the hips, but the essence of the motion of the rotation of the body’s exact center which rotates to generate power much like an axle turns the wheel at either end but with the added benefit that you can use your muscles to control the timing of the rotation relative to the strike. This allows for thrust techniques, where the rotation is behind the strike, and snap techniques, where the initial rotation precedes the strike and the counter-rotation, or reversal, begins well before extension to create a whip-like action.

!,100 years of martial arts and we are after 125 years of softball and baseball trying to explain what we see verses what it feels like.
If it feels like a thrust and the hitters feels like it is a thrust....that works for me as to teaching!

Thanks for being opened minded to try it Howard

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid