Rear elbow leading the hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2008
FFS,
I would like to see you teaching one of your students also. You also talk about getting some of your hand droppers to use the casey drill but if you are a hitting coach why do you have students still dropping their hands?? Hummm. Looking to see you teaching somebody anybody.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Eddie, coaches drop by my hitting sessions to observe how I teach. If you are asking for an invite then send me a PM and we’ll set something up for you.

You’ll need to catch me up to speed regarding what you are talking about with respect to the “casey drill” and having students “still dropping their hands”. Which posts are you referring to? Are you having an issue with a hitter dropping their hands at swing initiation … if so, send me a video clip and we’ll help you get that corrected.

May 20, 2008
FFS,
I would love to see you work, I was refering to a earlier post to sb family by you about the casey drill. I am a student of Hitters method of teaching and by using hitters teaching my girls have become so much better. I have also been around Steve Englishbey and coach John Tschida, all of these people have worked and posted video of them working with high level hitters. Just wondering if you had any video clips to post so i can see what you teach.

Oct 25, 2009
FFS,
I would love to see you work, I was refering to a earlier post to sb family by you about the casey drill. I am a student of Hitters method of teaching and by using hitters teaching my girls have become so much better. I have also been around Steve Englishbey and coach John Tschida, all of these people have worked and posted video of them working with high level hitters. Just wondering if you had any video clips to post so i can see what you teach.

I believe you will find that all decent instructors can teach girls to hit much better at some level or another. This is especially true for the younger or newer players.

I've found that the information that FFS, among others, is teaching is most appropriate for higher level batters. Of course, most any player can benefit from the information.

I'm sure Coach Tschida is teaching at a higher level considering his vast knowledge and experience. Probably the same with the others you mentioned.

When it comes down to it it depends on how much time you can spend with the students. Weekend clinics have their benefits but can't come close to regularly scheduled lessons--no matter who you are.

Good coaches/instructors never stop learning. There is no final right or wrong answer.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia

I agree that the hands torque the handle. As Ted once said, 'How else can you get the hands flat?' (paraphrase). A common issue I see in young hitters is that they torque the handle in the wrong direction. They torque the handle parallel to the pitch rather than perpendicular to the pitch. It's important to remember, that the elbows work independently in different directions. The back elbow drops down to the side, while the front elbow/forearm lifts up off the chest. Don't let the rotation of the upper torso trick you into seeing something that isn't there.

IMO, the goal should never be to keep the elbows equally spaced. The goal should be to get the hands flat as efficiently as possible. Depending on the handset, this may mean that the back elbow moves down a lot, while the front forearm moves very little.

Also notice how Gile's back arm begins to extend into contact. The swing is a "hard push swing", you are pushing right through contact.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Eddie35, is this the same "coach John Tschida" that you have 'been around'?

Does anyone else have an issue with this hitting drill? It seems to me he is promoting a swing to hit down on the ball. Plus the supposed angle of the "riseball" is way too steep (i.e. no pitch is going into the strike zone at that great of an upward angle). If you continued with his string of balls out towards the pitcher, the string would hit the ground somewhere around 10 - 15 feet in front of home plate. What pitcher releases the ball at an upward angle 10 -15 feet in front of home plate? The answer is none. If there is some value to this drill I would be interested to hear it?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
SoCal, I believe anyone would be hard pressed to find such a swing plane duplicated in an actual game swing.

What we see here contradicts the Hanson Principle.

The Hanson Principle (… the one to use)
“Always compare what anybody tells you about the swing to slow motion clips of the best hitters in the world”.
-- Mark Hanson

Jan 31, 2010
FFS - Are you attempting to discredit Coach Tschida because of his instruction on a ten year old hitting video? Have your thoughts/beliefs/methods changed re: hitting over the past ten years?

C'mon, man!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse