Ready for some fresh eyes on 12yo dd

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 18, 2013
MN
[video=youtube_share;Y8bZrn17lAA]http://youtu.be/Y8bZrn17lAA[/video]Hey guys I'm ready for some analysis on my dd. She is the one in red. Started the conversion to IR after this past fall season and it is slow. Things we've been working on are drive (she mainly had just a big step), and posture (use to have a BIG bend at waist.) I hope this video posts - not good at computer stuff at all...

Lots of good stuff. Here is my quickest suggestion......check what your DD's glove arm does and what these two girls in the video do. Your DD is losing lots of momentum and thus not generating as much energy as she could if her glove simply moved like these.

Mar 18, 2013
MN
Thanks Rick! I really haven't even paid much attention to the glove arm. DD just watched the clips with me and asked if she should be slapping the glove. I said it was more just bringing the arm up then in to generate more velocity - hope that's right. we'll work on it wed. night at practice. Thanks again for the look!

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Rick, along with the glove, I think I see that the hips are closing a tad bit early. Is this the case or not? I'm not a PC but am trying to learn as much as possible on here like most:)

Mar 18, 2013
MN
YOCOACH, I think she closes early too. We've been trying to stay more open but the old HE slam the door mechanics creep in frequently. Btw - to anyone - what is "false loading" ? I got a PM from someone stating that she's doing this along with a list of other poor mechanical issues, which is fine, I asked for input, but I don't know this term.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Adding to Rick's suggestion--I like the cue of driving out with the backs of the hands and pulling down the backs of the hands at release. There may be a slight slap, but barely audible if she thinks "back of the hands." BoardMember posted a video of it recently--I'll try to post it if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Javasource posted a chapter on good loading mechanics in the "Drive Mechanics" thread.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
YOCOACH, I think she closes early too. We've been trying to stay more open but the old HE slam the door mechanics creep in frequently. Btw - to anyone - what is "false loading" ? I got a PM from someone stating that she's doing this along with a list of other poor mechanical issues, which is fine, I asked for input, but I don't know this term.

Actually... a "False Load" is not pushing weight back... LOL Sorry... this is something that recently popped up...and the poster is still giving 'false information' on 'false load'. Oy vey...

"False Load" is when a pitcher does NOT transfer weight back... but instead simply bends at the waist... giving the appearance of 'sending weight back'... even though they do not. By not sending weight back... they've less energy to load on the rear leg... which helps them transfer momentum forward. By transferring weight rearward... then forward... you create momentum.

Momentum = The product of body mass and its linear velocity.

I would say that your daughter is false loading a bit... meaning she is NOT transferring weight back. ;) As Ken noted... try out the 2-Step in Drive Mechanics.

The video makes it really tough to tell... but I get the feeling she's still getting her hand behind the ball... remnants of H/E still appear to be a part of the full motion. It's really tough to see this 'blurry' but the position of her bicep and shoulders make me believe her hand is behind the ball. Could be wrong... just a hunch...

Try a small football... and see if she can 'pitch it' from 12 o'clock... by throwing a spiral (nose of the ball towards catcher). If she struggles with this... and it comes out more sideways... her hand is behind the ball. IF this is the case... have her work on that feeling of keeping the hand inside the ball.

Also, tell her to not let her throwing shoulder see the target. Try to keep her open... and I think you'll find she'll get it quickly.

Thanks for pointing out which is your DD... at one point you were actually 'following' the other pitcher! ;) Keep up the good work!

Mar 18, 2013
MN
Thanks Ken and Java! I'm excited to try the suggestions tomorrow at practice..just have to dig out a football. I did read through some of the drive mechanics thread and we'll talk about load tomorrow. Don't want to overwhelm her with too much. Our season starts fairly soon and she is the starter on her TB team so probably can't do a complete overhaul. On a side note Java, the other girl pitching is on her team and they learned from the same pc who my daughter used to see - five months ago my daughter looked very similar in her motion so she really has come a long way! Thanks again!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd