radar fun with batted ball speeds

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 16, 2010
So DD recently started using a rockettech and likes the way it feels. She says it feels like a bat should when it hits the ball.

My observation was that she might hit farther occassionally with a composite, but the rockettech seemed to be consistent. So I decided to test this hypothesis.

Had her hit 5 balls off tee with each of 5 different bats, from 32-33" and 22-23oz. Plus the rockettech. Used my jugs gun to check the batted speeds.

Results were surprising. Although the best ball speed came off a 32" composite bat, the rockettech best was only 1mph slower. What was surprising was the variation in ball speeds on the composites, about 6 mph from highest to lowest, on all of them. The rockettech was only about 2-3 mph. On average, it produced consistent higher velocity hits.

Repeated this twice, same results.

Always heard composite was engineered for large sweet spot, etc. Its all marketing garbage now IMO. I believe what shes been telling me.

Jan 25, 2011
When the page opens up there sould be in the middle about a leader board click on that and it sould open the next page that has a list of sports baseball,and softball,and under them is fastball speed,tee-exit speed,and overhand speed,just click on the ones you want to see,then it opens up to a list with graduation years,and under them is a list of players and their speeds,click and a video sould open.But you never know if it will work

Oct 14, 2008
So DD recently started using a rockettech and likes the way it feels. She says it feels like a bat should when it hits the ball.

My observation was that she might hit farther occassionally with a composite, but the rockettech seemed to be consistent. So I decided to test this hypothesis.

Had her hit 5 balls off tee with each of 5 different bats, from 32-33" and 22-23oz. Plus the rockettech. Used my jugs gun to check the batted speeds.

Results were surprising. Although the best ball speed came off a 32" composite bat, the rockettech best was only 1mph slower. What was surprising was the variation in ball speeds on the composites, about 6 mph from highest to lowest, on all of them. The rockettech was only about 2-3 mph. On average, it produced consistent higher velocity hits.

Repeated this twice, same results.

Always heard composite was engineered for large sweet spot, etc. Its all marketing garbage now IMO. I believe what shes been telling me.

Understand when her hand path makes the complete change to the end loaded you will see her batted ball speed increase. My dd would agree with yours that the R/T feels like a bat should when contact is made. Honestly she would probably tell you that she dosent even feel it come off the bat most of the time.

She was a metal head and was lucky enough to be around when the 04/05 Anderson bats were common so we sort of stocked up and she used no other bat until she went to college.

Now in a 34/26 Worth 454, and believe me the feel of the bat at contact isnt even close compared to a R/T according to her.

Now is the time for your dd to work on hand and forearm strength to control that 2.5 oz end load. Once that is done youll soon discover that a R/T in the hands of a power hitter is no longer a bat but a weapon.

Tim

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
DD is 13yo 5' 100 lbs looking at the rocketech 31''-22oz.Normally uses lighter bats around 19.5 or 20oz in 31'' length.Is this going to be to heavy a bat for her? Feel she could drive the ball further with the heavier bat but my not be able to handle the xtra weight.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12