Quitting already?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2011
Yup. I watched a 12u Colorado Sparkler game last year on facebook live that a friend's DD was playing in. I PM'd him that if any of the kids on that team want to play in college their parents would need to calm down in 14u, because college coaches watch parents as part of the recruiting process.

I had to walk away from a 16u game at Triple Crown in San Diego last summer because it was embarrassing how much the parents were moaning and groaning. Felt bad for the girl on the team I coached in rec. I've gone to coaches clinics where Mike Candrea, Ken Eriksen, and Mike White have mentioned watching parents, as well as two coaches clinics where D2/D3 coaches have talked about the recruiting process.

Jul 27, 2021
I would like to see accountability on both sides.
Baseball/Softball umps do more required training and spectators are now past the dugouts (1st and 3rd base).
Basketball refs have fitness and can call charge v. block correctly and players can have one adult spectator.
Mainly youth sports.

Jun 8, 2016
Yup. I watched a 12u Colorado Sparkler game last year on facebook live that a friend's DD was playing in. I PM'd him that if any of the kids on that team want to play in college their parents would need to calm down in 14u, because college coaches watch parents as part of the recruiting process.

I had to walk away from a 16u game at Triple Crown in San Diego last summer because it was embarrassing how much the parents were moaning and groaning. Felt bad for the girl on the team I coached in rec. I've gone to coaches clinics where Mike Candrea, Ken Eriksen, and Mike White have mentioned watching parents, as well as two coaches clinics where D2/D3 coaches have talked about the recruiting process.
There are days where I know I am on edge (for whatever reason) and it is best if I don't watch my kid play. Not a perfect solution but one which I have deemed acceptable at the moment.

Jun 8, 2016
I would like to see accountability on both sides.
Baseball/Softball umps do more required training and spectators are now past the dugouts (1st and 3rd base).
Basketball refs have fitness and can call charge v. block correctly and players can have one adult spectator.
Mainly youth sports.
Improving officiating is of course good, but there are always going to be bad calls and calls which are not bad but parents think are. A parent who screams and yells at a ump isn't taking into account that the umpire has been 98% correct that game...In reality 3/4 of the yelling probably occurs on correct calls as most parents are clueless..I will say it again, show me another profession where you get yelled at 50 times in an hour..

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021
Because it's one of the dumbest hot takes I have read in 15 years on this site.

The reality is that many sports are doing just the opposite and focusing on the real issue and that's out of control fans. Many sports are invoking zero-tolerance fan behavior as well as toughening laws to protect officials.

Fine.. let me change it.

The umpire who got physically attacked recently (take your pick of incident) - it is all their fault because they just weren't tough enough. Or maybe they missed a call.

There it is about someone else now. Congrats - you blamed the victim. They "deserved" it somehow.
Hey Gunner, "someone" just upped the "dummest hot takes" category.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
There are days when I know I am on edge (for whatever reason), and it is best if I don't watch my kid play. Not a perfect solution but one which I have deemed acceptable at the moment.
Sadly, I have taken this action as of late, too. I only seem to have the problem with my daughter, who pitches because there's so much stress on her position to perform.

I almost got tossed yesterday by an overly aggressive umpire for saying under my breath with no one else but the ump within 50 feet of me, "You gotta make that goddam play." The ump told me I had to watch my mouth, so I asked him what I said. Rather than tell me, he walked over to the HC and told him to remove me. Even though I said it under my breath, I felt it was best to watch the rest of the game from the OF not to upset my daughter and raise my blood pressure.

Jun 8, 2016
Sadly, I have taken this action as of late, too. I only seem to have the problem with my daughter, who pitches because there's so much stress on her position to perform.

I almost got tossed yesterday by an overly aggressive umpire for saying under my breath with no one else but the ump within 50 feet of me, "You gotta make that goddam play." The ump told me I had to watch my mouth, so I asked him what I said. Rather than tell me, he walked over to the HC and told him to remove me. Even though I said it under my breath, I felt it was best to watch the rest of the game from the OF not to upset my daughter and raise my blood pressure.
I don’t feel the need to yell at umps..it is my kid..which is worse.

Jan 22, 2011
My philosophy has been when something that happens in a game I'm watching really annoys me is to walk ~50 yards away from the field and then mutter under my breath. Some games I'm getting a lot of steps in!

Jun 8, 2016
My philosophy has been when something that happens in a game I'm watching really annoys me is to walk ~50 yards away from the field and then mutter under my breath. Some games I'm getting a lot of steps in!
I tried to do that and when I get to about 200 yards away I realize it would be less tiring if I just stayed in the car to begin with..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying