Quitting already?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2021
I don’t think retail worker is the standard of civility to shoot for. In fact we should treat retail workers better.

Yes an ump needs thicker skin, but imagine if they didn’t need it?
Agree on all points. The difference in this discussion is simple. I don't believe we can change the behavior of these idiots and a bunch of y'all for some reason think we can. Even though every article, study and essay written for the last 20 years tells us fan behavior continues to get worse and worse. So I suggested an alternative solution to the issue, based on my belief that bad fan behavior is here to stay. Not sure why everyone is so emotional about it. Particularly the umpires, who are supposed to be less emotional. Lol.....

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
So you get upset with someone for suggesting an out of the box (or what they think is an out of the box) solution? Someone thinks something is out of the box and you disagree so you get upset? Learn how to disagree without getting upset.

Wouldn't call it upset.

Think of it as the same reaction as a player who has been told they "Need to just harder" or "Just be better" or "Stop making errors"

I take a great deal of pride in the effort and work I have put into officiating and frankly being told I just need to toughen up more is insulting (and also not true)

May 17, 2012
Agree on all points. The difference in this discussion is simple. I don't believe we can change the behavior of these idiots and a bunch of y'all for some reason think we can. Even though every article, study and essay written for the last 20 years tells us fan behavior continues to get worse and worse. So I suggested an alternative solution to the issue, based on my belief that bad fan behavior is here to stay. Not sure why everyone is so emotional about it. Particularly the umpires, who are supposed to be less emotional. Lol.....

Because it's one of the dumbest hot takes I have read in 15 years on this site.

The reality is that many sports are doing just the opposite and focusing on the real issue and that's out of control fans. Many sports are invoking zero-tolerance fan behavior as well as toughening laws to protect officials.

Jul 19, 2021
Wouldn't call it upset.

Think of it as the same reaction as a player who has been told they "Need to just harder" or "Just be better" or "Stop making errors"

I take a great deal of pride in the effort and work I have put into officiating and frankly being told I just need to toughen up more is insulting (and also not true)
When you understand that no one is talking specifically to you and stop taking things personally, it will be a better board.

Jun 8, 2016
You take away something fans want and they will learn to act better. In this case don't let them in the ballpark for a while and tell them why..no law says that they are entitled to watch their little Suzy play.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
When you understand that no one is talking specifically to you and stop taking things personally, it will be a better board.
Fine.. let me change it.

The umpire who got physically attacked recently (take your pick of incident) - it is all their fault because they just weren't tough enough. Or maybe they missed a call.

There it is about someone else now. Congrats - you blamed the victim. They "deserved" it somehow.

Jul 19, 2021
Fine.. let me change it.

The umpire who got physically attacked recently (take your pick of incident) - it is all their fault because they just weren't tough enough. Or maybe they missed a call.

There it is about someone else now. Congrats - you blamed the victim. They "deserved" it somehow.
My gosh you move goalposts more than anyone I've eve seen. This started out about a fan saying "that's terrible" and how to deescalate that. Now you're taking about assault and battery cases. Bwahahahahaha

Just take the L on this one, every subsequent response makes you look worse.

Jul 27, 2021
The rules say that. Once I call it a strike, it is a strike. Once I decide it is a ball, it is a ball. And I have to live with that decision.
That is an easy change to make. Just like all the other little rule changes every year.
So you get upset with someone for suggesting an out of the box (or what they think is an out of the box) solution? Someone thinks something is out of the box and you disagree so you get upset? Learn how to disagree without getting upset.
Time for changes.
Time to remove umps that don't preform to the basic standard too.
You take away something fans want and they will learn to act better. In this case don't let them in the ballpark for a while and tell them why..no law says that they are entitled to watch their little Suzy play.
Time to make some changes. Each team needs to have an AC and gear to take the field to officiate. Lower the cost and competitiveness of youth sports. Maybe when it is time for High School playoffs and championships you get outside help.

For the nay-sayers about to hit the key board....with umps there are already bad calls, could half the umps actually pass the entrance rules exam, there are teams cheating all the way to the majors and there is always bias with humans.

Jun 8, 2016
Time to make some changes. Each team needs to have an AC and gear to take the field to officiate. Lower the cost and competitiveness of youth sports. Maybe when it is time for High School playoffs and championships you get outside help.
Sure I don't disagree with the premise. Anything to reduce cost/pressure in youth sports is a good thing. That said, what I don't understand is the laissez faire attitude by some on here to adults acting like idiots towards umpires (and yes I did it once for a different reason than a bad call..before somebody brings it up..) in front of their own kids...(unless of course the enablers are the ones acting like idiots). They are acting that way because they can and will continue to do so regardless of whether it is an AC or regular ump doing the games or whether the umpire has a thick skin or not.

I watched a game (for some reason..momentary lack of judgement) from behind the backstop last tournament and I had to walk away...it was embarrassing. At least 4 or 5 times every half inning something negative was yelled out at the ump. Do I like that my kid was called out on an unhittable pitch?No. Do I mumble something to myself? Sure. Having a reaction is normal but screaming out "That's horrible Blue" every 2 minutes isn't necessary..The problem is that it has been so ingrained that this is a part of youth sports that nobody blinks an eye..until tournaments are cancelled because they cannot find enough umpires.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45