Quitting already?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 3, 2019
I was following a somewhat local 12u team playing in a dome tournament today.

Immediately after the tournament ended one of the parents moms was on Facebook posting that they are looking for another team. Theorizing that a hissy-quit likely took place.

Made it through the entire off-season but packed it in after the first tournament of the year.

Anyone have any fairly recent stories of people quitting or parent blowups?

Dec 15, 2018
CT
No, but I read about an umpire quitting mid-game. No specifics, just coach was riding him so he up and left. Not sure why he didn’t eject, but it was a random FB post.

Jun 11, 2012
Not quitting but we had a parent follow a coach to the bathroom 3 games into preseason college softball to complain about playing time. The girl lasted 2 years before her mother started emailing other team in our conference pretending to be the daughter saying she was looking to transfer. It got back to the coach who asked if she was planning to transfer and the poor kid had no idea.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Not quitting but we had a parent follow a coach to the bathroom 3 games into preseason college softball to complain about playing time. The girl lasted 2 years before her mother started emailing other team in our conference pretending to be the daughter saying she was looking to transfer. It got back to the coach who asked if she was planning to transfer and the poor kid had no idea.

This mother is a psychopath, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if her daughter ends up cutting all ties with her as she becomes an adult.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
No, but I read about an umpire quitting mid-game. No specifics, just coach was riding him so he up and left. Not sure why he didn’t eject, but it was a random FB post.
I am surprised we don't see umpires leaving mid game more often. The pay is not worth the aggravation some times. I wonder if there is any kind fall back on to the umpire from the assignor of the game. I certainly hope the assignor would be on the umpires side in this type of situation.

Aug 25, 2019
I am surprised we don't see umpires leaving mid game more often. The pay is not worth the aggravation some times. I wonder if there is any kind fall back on to the umpire from the assignor of the game. I certainly hope the assignor would be on the umpires side in this type of situation.
With a move like that is seems the umpire may be totally done with umpiring, which would be one less to go around. And if I ever ejected a coach from a game (haven't yet) and the assignor gave me a problem about it, it would be the last time I worked for that guy.

May 10, 2021
I did a MS game(DD's) yesterday because we had no umpire. I am experienced and wanted to watch my DD play but hey if I don't grab my gear there is no game.

This parent absolutely loses his mind "that is terrible" in the stands screaming at me after I call a ball fair when the 3B picks it up on the chalk.

I was in the 1-man system lol and moved probably 15 feet down the 3rd base line......in good position. It was a little floater that hit and spun back toward the 3rd base line.

I am thinking to myself this is why nobody wants to do or even try umpiring any more. I have done a few games in my life and just remain calm and keep my back turned but I can see less experienced umps making eye contact or even worse engaging. Rarely it gets to the point where you have to get the manager of that team involved but we hear this stuff intensifying and ending in physical confrontation. I even looked back going to my car just to make sure.

These were non-conference games with that "fan's team" on the losing end of 2 run ruled games. There has always been fans heckling and coaches arguing...that is certainly part of the game...but we crossed a line some time ago.

Even if I blew the call why are parents acting like this? What can we do to deescalate? IDK.

Jun 20, 2015
being an un-involved observer is always fun to watch a good hissy quit. See several over the years and always classic popcorn eating fun.

Best one was couple years ago, and coach didn't even realize player X was gone, until she wasn't in the on deck circle. quick search revealed mom, dad and player being spotted walking to their car. Prolly not fun for all teammates, coaches & families involved, but i enjoyed watching it unfold.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
It’s been building for some time, but had a Senior on DD’s HS team quit in the middle of the game last night…with two games left in the regular season. I was watching the game along the LF fence and someone said, hey, isn’t that X walking away from the field. But it gets better…

X and one of her parents came back after the “chalk talk” at the end of the game. They confronted the coaches with the AD in tow. Was a heated conversation that seemed to be going on way too long and one the assistant coaches and the parent almost came to blows with the AD stepping in between. It was on display for most to see and for her teammates who were busy cleaning up the field, etc.

This is the second girl on the team to quit. The previous one quit immediately before a game a couple weeks ago. Took her jersey off just after the national anthem, threw it down, and walked away. Another Senior.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45