Questions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 16, 2010
HMiller -
Don't be so defensive - 9 years ago this Spring a friend/principal at a local H.S./Jr. High asked me to coach softball because: 1) we were friends; 2) I played college baseball and 3) she knew as much about softball as me - absolutely nothing. A parent who noticed I had the pitcher covering on a bunt suggested that I get help & I did. I'm still learning every day and recently discovered this forum as another great resource to add to my thousands of dollars worth of videos, books, gadgets and training aids. If your team is truly a "select" team - you will be subject to great scrutiny both on field and off. These parents will have invested thousands in their DD and will expect you to be all things to all people, especially their baby girl. Heck, I'm a veteran trial prosecutor and I've been subjected to more scrutiny in my line-up card or whether I called for the bunt, than I ever have in prosecuting a murdering, drug dealing thug.

Now here is the upside as I see it. God blessed me with 4 daughters. I only discovered softball after my oldest was already in H.S. and a cheerleader. My younger three play and love the game. As far as I can tell, there are very few things Dads and Daughters can TRULY ENJOY together and grow in together like softball. Take advantage of that, grow in the game and enjoy. Don't ever stop learning. I look forward to seeing and talking to you in this forum.

Jul 9, 2010
Heck, I'm a veteran trial prosecutor and I've been subjected to more scrutiny in my line-up card or whether I called for the bunt, than I ever have in prosecuting a murdering, drug dealing thug.

Wow, I can, unfortunately, totally believe this. When my wife comes to watch my DD play, and I'm coaching, she tells everyone she is there to enjoy watching her daughter play, and has nothing to do with anything on the field. Of course, she has to say this, because people will come up to her asking her questions like you cite above.

I guess we are all extremely emotionally invested in our kids, and want the best for them. Of course, we all express that differently, and sometimes those expressions don't come out very well, or like we intended.

Sometimes, it almost makes you wonder why you take this on. Then, you get that special smile from a kid who does something for the first time, makes a good play, or just is high on life, and you remember.

There really is nothing quite like it.

Feb 9, 2009
back down, cowboy...it was a fair question! You didn't share that a bunch of people came to you asking you to be the coach. You just said you were a baseball coach for over ten years and now you are a head coach of a select softball team with no softball coaching experience. In my area of the country, select softball teams are competitive. So are the coaching positions. We don't ask every daddy with baseball knowledge to be a coach. You kinda have to prove you know the game of softball better than everyone else.

Yeah, I can imagine the response I'd get if I went to a baseball sight and said "I've coached softball for 12 years, and now I get to coach a select baseball team...any thing I need to know?" I'd get roasted. You're reception here has been much friendlier...

Why so touchy, anyway?

Feb 6, 2009
back down, cowboy...it was a fair question! You didn't share that a bunch of people came to you asking you to be the coach. You just said you were a baseball coach for over ten years and now you are a head coach of a select softball team with no softball coaching experience. In my area of the country, select softball teams are competitive. So are the coaching positions. We don't ask every daddy with baseball knowledge to be a coach. You kinda have to prove you know the game of softball better than everyone else.

Yeah, I can imagine the response I'd get if I went to a baseball sight and said "I've coached softball for 12 years, and now I get to coach a select baseball team...any thing I need to know?" I'd get roasted. You're reception here has been much friendlier...

Why so touchy, anyway?

Why insitagte further? People backed you up when you asked the question but now you need to keep going by calling him cowboy and ask why he's so touchy? What gives with you?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes