Questions for D3 parents

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2014
Peach State
DD is a 2017 in the recruiting process. I think she has made up her mind on her school (D3), even if she doesn't play softball. She has visited the school, talked with the coaches, watched an indoor practice. There is another school (also D3) that she likes as much as the first school, but the location of the first school is preferable to her. She has the grades and test scores for admission to both. She is still visiting schools (D2, D3, and NAIA). However, I really think she has made her choice. Her dad and I like the school that is topping her list. We would like something closer to home so we can watch a few games, but we also want her to make her own choice. I think DD would like either of her current top 2 schools, even if she doesn't play softball.

Additional info: the head coach at the school of choice has told her to keep in touch (emails DD about bi-weekly) and has said he thinks his school would be a great pace for DD. He has not explicitly stated that he wants DD on the team.

Questions:
1. When did your DD know she had the right choice?
2. When did your DD make a verbal commitment to the D3?
3. Did your DD make a commitment to a D3 and then have another opportunity arise? If so, what did your DD choose?

I'm looking for ways to support DD in her choice. We have a big road trip coming up with 2 college visits in 3 days and I'm thankful for the quality time spent with her on these trips.

Thank you.

Feb 15, 2016
Questions:
1. When did your DD know she had the right choice? She did not decide until her senior year in HS. She did not decide because of softball. She goes to a private D3 with very good athletics. She had it down to two D3 private schools where she could play ball. One school offered significantly more in academic scholarships. She ended up deciding based on.location.

2. When did your DD make a verbal commitment to the D3? She never "committed" to the school. Once she was accepted and decided on the school she let the coach know. Coach never "offered" either. Coach told her that she would be a great addition to the team and hoped she would choose that school.

3. Did your DD make a commitment to a D3 and then have another opportunity arise? If so, what did your DD choose? She never "committed" she just started school her freshman year and started going to practice. She was never guaranteed a roster spot at either school.

I'm looking for ways to support DD in her choice. We have a big road trip coming up with 2 college visits in 3 days and I'm thankful for the quality time spent with her on these trips.

Thank you.

I answered inside your quoted post. Recruiting was really laid back for her. She didn't get excited and told the final two coaches that she would choose based on academics, financial aid, and which school she thought would be the best fit for her. She told both schools softball was not the deciding factor.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
When evaluating D3 schools the question quickly becomes how much financial aide would be required for your DD to attend. If she can go without any aide then I am sure the coach would love to have her. If aide is required the water gets a little murky because D3's do not offer athletic money and the decision on academic money comes from the admissions office, not the athletic department...

Feb 15, 2016
You should read the D3 thread pinned at the top. It has a lot of good information.

1) My DD got a $21,000 a year academic scholly to attend a school that costs $34,000 a year in tuition. She got nothing else because our income is too high.

2) She played on a very good club team with several commits to Top 25 D1 schools. Over the years coaches from D1 to D3 had contacted her coaches about her after tournaments. Several teams came out to watch her at showcase tournaments.

3) The D3 school she attends is nationally ranked in softball, has won national titles, and her 18A club team would beat them 90% of the time.

D3 is good softball but not great. That is why it is D3. Yes a few D3 teams could probably beat lower D1 teams, but the best D3 teams are still D3. If your DD played on a legitimate 18A that qualified for National Tourneys she can play D3 softball on a good D3 team.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
DD#3 played D3 hoops.

1. When did your DD know she had the right choice?
Almost immediately. We had went to different schools, and she wasn't in love with the schools. We went to visit Hope College, and she fell in love with it.

2. When did your DD make a verbal commitment to the D3?

About April of her senior year. She had a scholarship to play NAIA, but she really want to go to Hope.

3. Did your DD make a commitment to a D3 and then have another opportunity arise? If so, what did your DD choose?

No. She had the NAIA offer. A major D1 school wanted her to walk on, red shirt and then play.

But, as I've said before, my DD#1 went D1. So, neither DD#3 nor I were that crazy about her playing D1.

He has not explicitly stated that he wants DD on the team.

D3 coaches are different than D1 or D2 coaches. They don't count on a kid coming to the school and playing until she shows up for her first day of class. They've had kids change their minds, so they don't get too excited about it.

You should ask the coach, "Do you think my DD is good enough to play on your team?" You need to know where your kid stands talent wise.

D3 schools are a strange bunch when it comes to sports. There are a few really good teams, and there are a lot of bad teams. The good teams (like Wash U out of St. Louis) are *really* good. Your DD has to be have low level D1 or mid level D2 talent to play on those teams.

On my DDs college team, lots of all-conference HS players were cut.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2014
Peach State
When evaluating D3 schools the question quickly becomes how much financial aide would be required for your DD to attend. If she can go without any aide then I am sure the coach would love to have her. If aide is required the water gets a little murky because D3's do not offer athletic money and the decision on academic money comes from the admissions office, not the athletic department...

We are fully aware that there would be no athletic money at the D3. We are pretty sure that her academics will get the cost within our price range.

Oct 10, 2014
Peach State
Thanks!

DD has not even considered D1. She's not a D1 kind of kid, I guess. She's all about finding a school where she will compete for playing time immediately and she can be a pre-med student. That brings our focus to D3, primarily. She would like to know where she is going to school by August so she can relax her senior year. I'm not sure how she is going to relax next year; she registered for two AP classes and 3 honors classes. Two of those are science classes.

Jun 16, 2015
Nothing to add, but just glad to see the other side of the coin and this is where we're headed. DD is *not* D1 material, but loves the game and is an exemplary teammate and coachable athlete. She is bright and we're taking the route of grades first, then athletics. Hopefully she'll be able to play in college, but if not, oh well. Thanks for this post and the responses.

Sep 17, 2009
About five years ago, my oldest DD "committed" to play at a very academically well known D3. She visited twice in the fall of her senior year, once with me where we met the coach, and once by herself in an overnight stay. School made their final decision and "offer" after watching her play in last exposure of the fall of her senior year. The coach definitely helped expedite her admissions, though DD had the grades and ACT (which got the school's attention in the first place). DD subsequently (in March) and somewhat surprisingly got into the academic school of her dreams (a place where she wouldn't be able to play softball) and changed her mind. It was tough, we felt she was going back on a promise but this was her life and she ended up telling the coach she wasn't coming. It was a tough decision but has turned out to be 100% the correct one.

This fall on our 18U team, we've had a number of girls looking at D3s, including high academic D3s. Something seems to have changed, especially at those high academic schools. The admissions offices seem much more fully in charge, and decisions are coming much later. Coaches are saying 'we'd love to have you, let us know when you hear from admissions." Not as much softball love until you officially get in the school.

The other thing we are seeing is the trend of D3 teams carrying huge rosters (20-plus) and even playing so-called JV games (this may not be new, but new to us). One of our D3 attendees from last year's team is going to such a school, they have 23 players on the team, she is a catcher and traveled this spring to Florida and Georgia with the team for spring ball as a freshman, played a few "varsity" games and started every JV game. She seems to be in a good situation and loving it. Other interesting fact on these big roster D3 teams is even though they carry a lot of girls, if your commitment slacks or you don't play summer ball to keep improving they WILL cut you, even if you've been a high level travel player in the past. Nothing's guaranteed even though it's "just D3."

In short, lots of opportunities at D3, but make sure it's not something your DD is doing not just because the opportunity is there but because she loves the school and really wants to continue playing softball when it's all about HER and her commitment and her life.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Thanks!

DD has not even considered D1. She's not a D1 kind of kid, I guess. She's all about finding a school where she will compete for playing time immediately and she can be a pre-med student. That brings our focus to D3, primarily. She would like to know where she is going to school by August so she can relax her senior year. I'm not sure how she is going to relax next year; she registered for two AP classes and 3 honors classes. Two of those are science classes.

The downside to academic scholarships is a lot of schools are unable to give you a solid answer on an amount before her senior year, but they may be able to "project" based on current GPA and ACT/SAT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd