Questionable tactic?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2009
I'm seeing this with some frequency in 12u this year and would like to see where this discussion goes. Situation is our team is batting with a runner on third. The catcher throws a pick off, but throws the ball directly AT the runner about chest high. It is an obvious tactic and has gotten a couple of picks with runners ducking the throw or falling to avoid being hit.

Letting a team throw balls at my players does stick in my craw and I'll admit to some retaliatory thoughts...especially when it draws the 'you just got played' type of reaction and momentum shift. So far I've taken the high road and our policy remains that we do not throw at hitters (or baserunners). Secretly considering an exception though for catchers who see fit to throw at our players. Not seriously, just sayin'...un-cool and pretty ballsy (pun) considering the MPH that our top pitchers can rush the ball toward the batter, I mean, plate.

Mar 13, 2010
I think it's disgusting and I would be going to the umpires. Once is a mistake. Twice is deliberate.

Jan 24, 2009
I think it's disgusting and I would be going to the umpires. Once is a mistake. Twice is deliberate.

I'm obviously with you Lozza, but I don't see going to the umpire being productive and may actually work against us. I don't think the tactic is actually illegal per se, and there is always that 'judgement' grey area as well.

I've spent numerous innings on third base over the years and what I'm seeing appears to have been coached. Our runners always lead off from 3rd in foul territory and there is clearly a throwing lane, but a few teams are beading down on the runner. These are good arms too, not errant throws at least from where I'm standing.

Dec 28, 2008
If the other team is teaching their players to deliberately allow your runners to be safe then teach them to toughen up and take it. The players have a helmet on. So while it may sting, it won't kill them.

As soon as your players feel the ball hit them in the backside, they should turn and run home since the ball will just be rolling around somewhere. Scoring the run should help them overcome the little bit of pain from being hit in the backside.

Teach your players that they can't contrl what other coaches/players do, but they can control their attitude, effort and reaction and that the best revenge is always to be tough, take the hits, score the runs and win the game.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
On a similar subject, my dd 10U rec team played a game last week and
3B coach got in the way of throws 3x with no penalty from PU.
I calmly moved my chair away from the bleachers

Oct 18, 2009
I've never seen this. I couldn't imagine even teaching that either. It wouldn't work against a good team. If the throw hit the runner; I don't see how a good runner gets tagged out because of that; unless she falls to the ground in pain and just gets tagged out after the defense picks up the ball.

Teach your players that they can't contrl what other coaches/players do, but they can control their attitude, effort and reaction and that the best revenge is always to be tough, take the hits, score the runs and win the game.

BINGO!!!

If this is happening on a regular basis (more than once) PU has to speak up and throw a firm warning. I'm guessing this coach probably has this 'if they're in the way hit em' mentality, extremely unsportsman like IMO. Is this an inhouse rec team? Hopefully this reputation follows this team and thier dirty tactics will be expected and eventually backfire, with ejections and losses. As Druer said...the best revenge is scoring the runs and winning the games, bruises don't hurt so much when celebrating victory!

Oct 22, 2009
PA
It wouldn't work against a good team. If the throw hit the runner; I don't see how a good runner gets tagged out because of that

This is exactly the point. We teach our runners at third to take a position inside the baseline when the catcher has the ball, ie cross over from foul to fair after the pitch is delivered. If the catcher throws to third, our runners turn their backs and get back to the base. They've been hit with plenty of balls, and not one has ever had to come out of the game because of it (12U). They'll stop once they realize the tactic doesn't work and leads them to give up unnecessary runs.

Jul 9, 2010
If your players are in line with 3B, then it's part of the game. If they are in foul territory, and it happens more than once, I would have that conversation with the plate umpire.

Also, if they are in foul territory, I am wondering where exactly the 3B is. Is she jumping over in to foul territory to cover the ball? Does she know the throw is going over there? Or, is she on third, covering the bag?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck