Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
This is not a pitching question but since I'm a regular to this forum I thought id go ahead and ask.
On an appeal to the field umpire wether or not a batter swung, does the catcher have to ask the plate umpire or can a coach? Is there a specific rule I can quote? I'm talking about USSSA or ASA. Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
I wrote the answer down for you on a piece of paper here in NY. Gonna have to come get it... ;)

By definition... an appeal play is a rule violation that the umpire can't make a ruling on until requested by a manager, coach, or player.

A protest... well that's the manager or coach.

In either event, a strike or ball decision is one made of judgement... and cannot be challenged... as outlined in rule 9... ASA.

In live situations... the player with the ball may make the appeal. Dead ball... see above.

However...

If an umpire calls a ball on a check swing... the CATCHER may ask the plate umpire to go for help. It's not an appeal, or is it a protest. It's simply a request to make sure the plate umpire has no doubt. Either way, it's up to the plate umpire to determine their own doubt, and if they do doubt what they saw, they ask the other official.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
For ASA, the situation is covered in Rules Supplement 10.

It does state that the catcher must make the request of the PU. It also states that the PU is not required to ask the BU for help if PU is certain of his call.
A further note not specifically covered in the book, the check swing request is only valid if the pitch was called a ball and "no swing" was determined. If the PU calls a swinging strike, it is a strike forever.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45