Question to umpires on catchers' framing skills

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I remember seeing one umpire who actually was calling strikes when the catcher would pull the ball into the zone. But that was rare, and likely an inexperienced blue.

I have watched some games this year where it looks like the ump is calling the pitch based on where the catcher catches it rather than where it crosses the plate. That really hurts pitchers with late movement. Saw it happen to one of my students, and have watched it happen to a couple I didn't know. Very frustrating for them to work that hard learning to pitch and then get penalized versus the kid who is just throwing the ball straight in.

Of course, I've also seen many blues who do a great job of calling the ball where it's pitched, not allowing hitters to duck under high strikes and so forth. It's a pleasure to watch them work.

Jan 23, 2014
My dd is still only in 10u. We know that 10u often gets the less experienced umps. Catchers on team are fairly Inexperienced, dd has a bit of a natural drop on her fastball they sometimes can't handle. I've seen more than one blue call the pitch from where it's caught,not where it goes over the plate. If the catcher doesn't hold onto it, kiss that strike goodbye��.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I'm sorry. I assumed you saw the reasons above for why they matter. It's because umpires use different reference marks to call the game and sometimes they reference how and where the catcher catches the ball. :)

Then you have either an untrained or lazy umpire

Jan 26, 2015
Most inexperienced blues call it where its caught. Its more predominant in rec ball. my DD plays 10 rec and travel ball and this is what happens in rec. DD throws a ball on a rope to the pitcher mid chest high and blue calls it a ball. Pitcher from opposing team throws a rainbow passes batter above the head but drops into the strike zone. You know the call. Parents always are going nuts but when the umps arent properly trained thats what happens. Not complaining. They get alot of grief over a few bucks. kuddos to them for working in a unforgiving enviorment

Mar 26, 2013
Lack of framing can cost you strikes when the catcher moves their mitt to catch a strike and then drags it out of the zone.

The effectiveness of any form of "framing" varies by umpire, just like strike zones.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
Lack of framing can cost you strikes when the catcher moves their mitt to catch a strike and then drags it out of the zone.

The effectiveness of any form of "framing" varies by umpire, just like strike zones.

Yes you need to teach your catchers to frame it. It's not to fool the Ump but more to help the Ump see where it crosses the plate. dd is learning her FP with I/R after being taught HE. She's inconsistent cuz she's trying to figure out what works. Sometimes she throws more of a drop or curve sometimes she pushes it (we'll call that her change up) point is she doesn't know what she throwing, catcher doesn't know what's coming, so lots of ugly catches where the ball goes over plate but caught way to left or right, it's called a ball. She thinks she needs to correct so after a few balls she starts pushing and aiming for right down the middle of the plate. One game this season she was throwing them low and Inside they looked pretty good but we're balls, the ump made a sweeping motion with his hands down the middle of the plate and told her that's where he liked them. I kept her on her rec team when we moved to TB cuz she wanted to do both and I thought she would get time in the circle even if TB team didn't pitch her, but the only thing she's learning is to throw it down the middle about waist high.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207