Question on replacing catcher gear

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 23, 2014
Ok my daughter has worn her gear now 2 Springs, and 2 falls. She was in 10u for those seasons. Now she has played this past fall with the same gear. We had to just recently replace her chest protector. It was obviously getting worn out. Her shin pads seem ok still, as does her helmet. When my son played ice hockey they suggested replacing the helmet every two years wether or not it showed wear. Her helmet still seems ok. Just wondered how often others replaced gear. Wondering if I should take advantage of Christmas sales

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
DD was a habitual helmet chunker when she caught. We were lucky to get 2 years of life from her helmet. I would say if you have already accepted that you are going to buy one, then it is probably time.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
I am a compulsive gear purchaser, so I can't really say how long a helmet will last. Seems like my girls either outgrow them or destroy them before we reach that stage.

I'd check the padding on all of the gear, especially in the front, and if it's still firm and compresses appropriately it's probably OK.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Not only am I a gear nut, but my DD is growing so fast, things don't get worn out before they're too small.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
Foam wore out on DD's helmet after 2 seasons, but it was a budget helmet. She has been in her new one for two seasons and it still looks fine so we aren't going to replace it. The only way that I would worry is if she had a major collision or took a really hard shot. Then I might be a little nervous.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Some brands of catchers helmets have stickers in them to tell how long they are certified for or when to replace them. Others just put the date of manufacture on the label. If your worried about whether it is still safe, you can send it out to have it inspected and re-certified/repaired. It is highly recommended that this be done by a licensed NAERA reconditioner. You will be able to find one by visiting

NAERA : National Athletic Equipment Reconditioning Association

Edit to Add: This is the recommendation of the Heads-Up Anti-concussion website/program that I used as my concussion certification.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Some brands of catchers helmets have stickers in them to tell how long they are certified for or when to replace them. Others just put the date of manufacture on the label. If your worried about whether it is still safe, you can send it out to have it inspected and re-certified/repaired. It is highly recommended that this be done by a licensed NAERA reconditioner. You will be able to find one by visiting

NAERA : National Athletic Equipment Reconditioning Association

Edit to Add: This is the recommendation of the Heads-Up Anti-concussion website/program that I used as a certification.

Interesting. I know football helmets get reconditioned every other season, but those are designed such that all the bladders and padding can be removed from the shell and replaced.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Interesting. I know football helmets get reconditioned every other season, but those are designed such that all the bladders and padding can be removed from the shell and replaced.

The site never really gave a definitive answer specific to catchers helmets (other than a possible certification duration sticker) but it infers that this should be done every two years along with batters helmets, football helmets, hockey helmets and other sports helmets that can possibly take a pounding.

Aug 15, 2014
my 11 year old DD has the Mizuno Samurai RED/BLUE combo and it is unmatched, she loves it, we were in a store the other day and I asked her to try on an Easton Catcher's mask and she said no way, she wouldn't even try it on! BTW, the gear is going on 3 years old and the catcher's mask looks brand new, no issues with the padding at all, and my DD catches a ton of games and attends a lot of practices and clinics, the set was $220 but well worth it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13