Between sizes on gear (youth)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 14, 2019
My 8 yr old daughter outgrew her Wilson (7-9)easy gear. The shin guards were not covering her knees anymore although the helmet and chest protector were okay. We got her a new set of size (9-12) Easton qwikfit for Christmas. It is a bit bulky but there isn't any size in between those. The helmet and shin guards are fine but she keeps complaining about the chest protector popping up into her chin/neck when she squats. Is there a way to fix this? She could mix and match the sets but will the smaller chest protector give her enough protection? Are there any chest protectors that run smaller that are sold by themselves? The new one is 13.5 and I haven't come across any smaller. Thanks!

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I think you're looking for a 5-7 YO chest protector. They range from 9-11". Pronine makes one as an example but a majority of that size from various manufacturers comes with the front tailpiece.

That said, there's no issue with mixing sets. Many on here mix and match sets not only for comfort, but for protection and coverage as well. As long as the CP is snug, covers just below her neck/slightly above the bottom of the helmet chin and her sides adequately in her squat, there's no issue IMO.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
No problem with mixing gear. My DD currently wears an Easton helmet, Wilson chest, and All-Star legs.

Comfort/fit is important. If the chest is too large and causing discomfort or limiting movement, and it cans be adjusted to fit properly, I suggest finding a different net solution. The fit we want is more like a compression shirt, not an apron.

Yes, gear is available individually.

May 6, 2015
yes, mix the gear to what fits best for your girl. DD (2007) wears a Schutt helmet, Boombah CP, and Rawlings leg guards. we replace individual pieces as needed, have never bought her a full set other than first starter set (Wilson EZ gear fit, but we quickly ditched leg guards, could not stand velcro, kept popping off).

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Also keep in mind that every manufacturer is different on fit and sizing. A 13.5" from one might be significantly smaller or larger than 13.5" from another.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812