Question: mechanics and riseball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2012
Just got back from open gym throwing with DD. She threw pretty well...single knuckle and palm ball working nicely. She has about a 12 mph difference in her knuckle vs fastball with the knuckle actually "dropping" some. Anyway, problem tonite was she was absolutely unable to find the outside of the plate (catchers right side). We tried to get back to some basic troubleshooting...hips open...brushing ear...even adjusting stride a bit as well. Nothing seemed to work for any real consecutive pitches. Suggestion on a some focus points would be appreciated. I would post a video but camera is busted...lol.

Riseball question: I thought I saw a video of Bill Hillhouse demonstrating the double ball riseball aid...if anyone has that handy would much appreciate a link. I would very much like to order the new "the pitches" but I am in a tough spot financially right now. I hope to order in within a month or so but want to get started on working her rise now.

Thanks all!!

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Just got back from open gym throwing with DD. She threw pretty well...single knuckle and palm ball working nicely. She has about a 12 mph difference in her knuckle vs fastball with the knuckle actually "dropping" some. Anyway, problem tonite was she was absolutely unable to find the outside of the plate (catchers right side). We tried to get back to some basic troubleshooting...hips open...brushing ear...even adjusting stride a bit as well. Nothing seemed to work for any real consecutive pitches. Suggestion on a some focus points would be appreciated. I would post a video but camera is busted...lol.

Are you saying she couldn't find the "strike corner" of the plate ( but maybe way outside ) or she couldn't throw ANYTHING to the right?

Oct 1, 2012
Are you saying she couldn't find the "strike corner" of the plate ( but maybe way outside ) or she couldn't throw ANYTHING to the right?

Well...both. Basically had trouble getting the ball to consistently to the outside. (right handed batter) I don't mean AT ALL... I mean there was just no consistency. Then a few of her pitches were WAY outside...she has always struggled with that to some degree...she is an inside pitcher for sure.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Well.......without video it's hard to tell if a flaw might be there. But mine has had those days and me too. So if we can eliminate flaws I can give you an easy "drill" that sometimes will work.

If she can't find the outside, I'll shift DD over to the right a foot or so to be in direct line with the right side of the plate. Let her fire some straight to go over the outside. Then we will slowly move a few inches towards back to normal, still firing to the outside, then a few more inches, and again. Sometimes it's just a "slump" like in hitting, once they can "see" they can pitch to a spot............it's like a switch and they're fine.

Every pitcher will have days their stuff doesn't work or we have no control for spots. It's just the nature of the beast. If its at practice I try some adjustments and maybe they work, maybe they don't. If its in a game, she's gotta come out :).

Don't get to worked up over a single bad day. If it starts happening often, that's when we worry and need to look deeper into the cause.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I'll just add this real quick. When we can't hit our spots ( and it's not mechanical ) its a lot like learning a new pitch. We start off closer to the plate to get the spin, we move back and back until we "feel" comfy with the spin and spot. In this case we are just moving to the side for confidence. ( mental )

It's kinda a good drill too if you see the missed spot during warm ups in the old "bull pen". And much easier for FP, cause I'd be throwing from the side of a mound unfortunately. lol

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I'd also suggest breaking up the routine. Make games out of practice that involve challenges. Occasionally hold way off the plate and in odd locations. If we get into too much of a routine our focus and control can get little fuzzy. Taking breaks to do other things (a few swings, a couple sprints, or a water break) can help keep the focus.

Coach Hillhouse demonstrates the double ball in one of his FastpitchTV segments. Do you have a specific question about the riseball?

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
Look under houseofpitching.com under the store tab and scroll down to the double ball. It is easy to make your own by matching the seams of two softballs together and then use screws on the end of each softball long enough to reach the other ball.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1