Question for coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I tell my players to imagine this scenario as a freshman at HS tryouts:
Coach - "Take a position in the field, whatever position is your best position"
Now imagine that there are 4 shortstops, 8 second basemen, 4 first baseman, 4 third basemen, and 2 outfielders.

What position gives you the best shot to make the team, and what position are you going to run to?

Utility players are more valuable than the third SS on any team, and always find a way to get in the lineup of a softball team.
JMHO.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Can I ask why you do this .. no disrespect but I can tell you it bothers these girls. My daughter enjoys and can play SS at a high level but does not get the reps necessary for her to improve. She is supplanted by a less talented girl and plays where the void is hence she plays a lot less at her favorite position than skill should dictate.

Is this just the way its going to be?

IMO, you work on your primary position on your own if you're not getting the playing time you need/want at it.

On Japan's last Olympic team the entire infield was made up of SS. If you couldn't be the Olympic SS, would you rather start at another position or not be on the team at all?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Can I ask why you do this .. no disrespect but I can tell you it bothers these girls. My daughter enjoys and can play SS at a high level but does not get the reps necessary for her to improve. She is supplanted by a less talented girl and plays where the void is hence she plays a lot less at her favorite position than skill should dictate.

We are coaching to win, so we put the girls in positions that are going to give us the best chance to win. Middle infield is very important, so I would be surprised if a coach is playing a "less talented girl" in front of your DD. We actually put our best middle infielder at 2B because more balls are hit to the right side of the infield vs. the left side.

Jul 22, 2013
IMO, you work on your primary position on your own if you're not getting the playing time you need/want at it.

On Japan's last Olympic team the entire infield was made up of SS. If you couldn't be the Olympic SS, would you rather start at another position or not be on the team at all?
Fair enough .... thanks for your explanation. I had not considered your option and it does have it's merits.

Jul 22, 2013
We are coaching to win, so we put the girls in positions that are going to give us the best chance to win. Middle infield is very important, so I would be surprised if a coach is playing a "less talented girl" in front of your DD. We actually put our best middle infielder at 2B because more balls are hit to the right side of the infield vs. the left side.
Thanks for your perspective and explanation on how you evaluate and play your talent. If our coach had more of this mindset I don't think it would have been an issue.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Thanks for your perspective and explanation on how you evaluate and play your talent. If our coach had more of this mindset I don't think it would have been an issue.

FWIW, my DD is a catcher i.e, considers herself one, trains like one, and runs like one. In HS, my DD started varsity as a freshman and played every postion except P and didn't catch until her last two years when the coach's goddaughter (who was the starting "girl who caught") graduated. Entering HS she knew what she faced - she had to learn to play another position well enough so that she could play the field and hit, rather than sit. That frustrating experience has served her well. This past year as a freshman in college she played 2B, CF, RF, 1B, LF, 3B, and DP because the starting catcher was an experienced 4-year starter who was a very good catcher and excellent leader. DD expects to catch this upcoming year, but has other options even if Joe Mauer decides to transfer in.

Jul 22, 2013
FWIW, my DD is a catcher i.e, considers herself one, trains like one, and runs like one. In HS, my DD started varsity as a freshman and played every postion except P and didn't catch until her last two years when the coach's goddaughter (who was the starting "girl who caught") graduated. Entering HS she knew what she faced - she had to learn to play another position well enough so that she could play the field and hit, rather than sit. That frustrating experience has served her well. This past year as a freshman in college she played 2B, CF, RF, 1B, LF, 3B, and DP because the starting catcher was an experienced 4-year starter who was a very good catcher and excellent leader. DD expects to catch this upcoming year, but has other options even if Joe Mauer decides to transfer in.
I hear you .... my job is to help her see from a different perspective and for me .. I need to re-set my expectations. The feedback I get from her coaches is all positive, she's fast, smart, has soft hands and does whatever is asked without complaint. Her previous batting coach said she has D1 fast hands .. she said I'm talking Tennessee. She has gotten better each and every year.

Maybe it's me with the problem.

Thanks for helping me see maybe this is all for the best for her.

Apr 1, 2010

When the less talented girl is the coach's daughter? Yes, that's probably the way it's going to be.

Look for a team where the daughters of the coaches do not play SS and have her keep working hard on her own in the meantime. Her knowledge of multiple positions should make her more valuable in HS/college someday, so it's not all bad.

JMO.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2011
My daughter was in a similar situation. She could pitch well early on in her softball career. She has played 3rd, ss, 2nd, outfield and catcher all very effective and she was a varsity starter all four years of high school either at 3rd or ss depending on the teams need. She is now working toward a starting position in college at 3rd base. As a coach I like these girls because they are able to fill the "weak" spots on a team. I have always encouraged her to play any position she wishes in the belief that the position she is needed in will find her she does not need to find the position. Hope this helps.

Apr 1, 2010
I tell my players to imagine this scenario as a freshman at HS tryouts:
Coach - "Take a position in the field, whatever position is your best position"
Now imagine that there are 4 shortstops, 8 second basemen, 4 first baseman, 4 third basemen, and 2 outfielders.

What position gives you the best shot to make the team, and what position are you going to run to?

Utility players are more valuable than the third SS on any team, and always find a way to get in the lineup of a softball team.
JMHO.

Awesome, so when DD runs behind the plate, she'd be the only one there. :-D

Seriously though, I've always told her that she should tell her HS coach that she'll play wherever he wants her.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves