Question for coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 22, 2013
I have a question that I don't seem to know how to handle.

My 14u daughter is a versatile player and I think this works to her disadvantage. She is one of the top players on her team but does not seem to own a position. She plays ss as her primary and first love position. If she played that most she would get even better but since she plays a good third and is an excellent of she usually plays 4-5 positions in a tourney. She is fast and that is what separates her from her teammates.

Can too much versatility hurt her. How can she standout when she really needs to list many positions and pretty much plays them all in the same ratio. Can coaches take too much advantage of this and reduce my daughters future opportunity?

Am I being over concerned?

Thoughts from coaches would be appreciated.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
"she can play anywhere" is the highest complement I can give a player. I don't see why this would change at higher levels. Colleges will have only certain position/skill needs in any one year so having versatility is a big bonus IMHO.

Jun 24, 2013
Just a dad, not a coach.

This year, like every year, 12YO DD was the only player that played every position. It just sort of happens.

I would say she is pretty good at all the positions, if she only had 1 or 2 positions I think she would be excelent at these positions. She does something a little bit something wrong that I would change at almost all the positions.

I think if the Team needed X, I could get her to excellent in a week or so. Having the ability to play X needs to help her going forward.

Jan 24, 2011
Don't see how it could hurt her. I know a few girls in our area that were only able to play position X , but there were girls in front of them that were better on their HS teams. The girls that could only play position X had real trouble getting on the field. Versatility would have helped them a ton

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I actually love players like that! True utility player!
1 ace and 2 good pitchers, two catchers, and 5 or 6 utility players...perfect team

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
If she is one of the top players, move her to a tougher team. If she is outplaying 4-5 other girls at their positions, she needs a better peer group. JMO

butcher-boy

old school
Jul 10, 2013
ARIZONA
A utility player is a much coveted player on any team. If she is as good a hitter as she is in the field all her coaches will find a place to put .

Jun 24, 2013
Going through the positions:

P, she is on her own, it would take take years to fix her.
C, do not have enough time to get into it.
1st, she doesn’t move to her right as much as she should. She retreats to 1st.
2nd, she doesn’t play deep enough.
3rd, she plays to far off the bag.
SS, she comes forward to catch the ball on a steal and does not wait back for it.
OF, she will get on top of the infielders. If they miss it, she is probably going to miss it too.
More complaints latter. :)

Jul 22, 2013
I actually love players like that! True utility player!
1 ace and 2 good pitchers, two catchers, and 5 or 6 utility players...perfect team

How do utility players get noticed by potential colleges? From my experience her coaches have not given the feedback necessary to make sure DD understands how important and valuable her versatility is. Right now I know she wishes she had a regular spot but she hustles and plays hard at any position she is asked to play .. she never complains to coach .. only to me.

That is really where I am befuddled.

How have you coaches promoted your truly versatile players to potential schools?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrakesii