Question about the TCB balls

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
I'll take a stab at this! I think the purpose of the TCB balls is to see how well centered the barrel hits the ball. I don't think it's a strengthening tool. Obviously because of the weight of the balls, you'll get some resistance training as a byproduct of using the heavier balls, but if you're using it to strengthen hitters, you're most likely going to inadvertently cause hitters to over-rotate and weightshift too far forward because hitters are going to be trying to muscle the ball to hit it farther. I don't think it's a tool to see how far you can hit the ball, rather how centered you hit the ball.

Oct 25, 2009
I think the TCB balls are great—even if they are expensive. But as far as hitting them on center one might consider that the material inside the ball is not necessarily centered.

I do like the way they fly when the contact is right but I'm not so certain that "centered" transfers to the softball's "centered."

Just saying.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I would tend to agree with you but not at the weight of a TCB ball. Wny we don't support hitting volley balls, basketballs , but many do on baseball sites. Like bats anything can be over done. You tell them to swing a heavy bat or hit a heavier ball and they think the more the better. A softball is 6.25 oz. We use a cut off on heavy balls of 10.5 oz and the TCB balls are below this cut off. Before TCB balls we used weighted balls for years and have had more students than we can count. Just don't over do it. We made our own weighted balls. You can make weighted softballs by driving 77 one and half inch finishing nails into every other seam of a softball and then add about 6 layers of duct tape. Look at the balls every once in a while to make sure no nails cut through the duct tape. Add a few more layer if it does as it increases the weight a little more and keeps the nails from marking the bat. Like TCB balls mix them with regular softballs and we don't hit more than 10 in a row. We have a drill that we hit tennis balls, then baseballs, then softballs , then weighted balls . Its called a Progression ball drill for bat speed. I do 10 each and go thru it 5 times.

I also like to mix in a wooden bat, like FFS has posted.

Keep in mind its not the weight, but that they compress and stay on the bat at contact longer. They are one of the best training devices I have found for a slapper. It forces them to hit the ball harder to the ground. Drill mix softballs with TCB balls on a slapping drill. Measure first how high the softall bounces , then measure it after the TCB mix drill. The results will shock you.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2011
I have noticed that for my dd, the angle of impact seems to be getting better with the use of TCB's. She is quite petite, and seems to swing with a decent amount of force. However, the impact moment causes a stir, because more often than not, the bat seems to deflect off the ball, rather than drive through it. I hope to visit this concept a bit more in another thread where we break down her swing a bit. I have also seen that with some kids who are just trying not to strike out (make contact), their eyes light up when they see how far the ball doesn't go just by making contact, but when you actually hit the ball and drive through it, the payout can really be eye popping.

Jul 26, 2010
The balls travel better if they are hit on the same plane as they are moving.

In practice, this requires a coach to throw them relatively straight and flat. Unfortunately, most coaches will stand 20 feet in front of the batter and lob them in. The batters with loopy golf swings will hit the balls further. A wise coach will kneel, and throw the balls overhand flat at thigh to waist level to the batter. This is a better indication of good swing mechanics. . . . unless of course you're actually trying to teach these kids to play slow pitch.

-W

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1