Question about hips??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 21, 2012
It seemed like years ago every time a hitter got in a slump you always heard something about hips flying open or hips pulling out. So now I've been on here trying to learn to help my DD and it seems like hips lead the hands. Is this not like saying hips pulling out or flying open? Just asking what is the difference. If hips open first then hands, is this not hips flying open? It maybe a dumb question, but still learning.

Thanks
Chad

Oct 21, 2012
That's what I'm learning from this Forum. But like I said from watching MLB hearing the announcers talk about a batter in a slump about hips flying open. Just trying to figure out if there was a difference.

Chad

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Yes, flying open "too soon" is what they mean. It is a timing issue.

The hips fly open too early making it virtually impossible to generate any type of power, especially on a pitch on the outside corner of home plate.
Flying open causes a swing to look ugly. In fact, there is nothing worse than watching a baseball swing where the hitter is flying open with the front shoulder.

Oct 12, 2009
...from watching MLB hearing the announcers talk...

There's your mistake.

Were you watching the thing on Matt Kemp? If so, it was pretty much complete nonsense. For instance, the guy didn't understand that the hips can move without moving the shoulders.

Oct 19, 2009
Just thinking out loud.

I agree with Amy that it often is a timing issue.

I have had kids that you put the ball belt high in the middle of the plate where they have always practice hitting from a tee and the mechanics are pretty good, then you start moving the ball to different hitting zones and the mechanics take a nose dive including sometimes the hips flying out.

We practice hitting from all zones, outside, inside and middle and low middle and high. It helps to get the mechanics consistent throughout the hitting zones, and fixes holes in the swing.

Taking it a step farther Howard and Bustos teach hitting balls at numerous locations in each zone including balls 6-8 inches outside the zone. Their philosophy is if you don’t hit in practice then how can you hit in a game. IMO it is huge confidence builder stepping in the batter’s box knowing you have practiced and can have a good swing at any pitch you can get a bat on.

It also helps when a ump is calling strikes outside the zone with 2 strikes and you have to swing at that pitch outside the zone and hit with authority.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
If hips open first then hands, is this not hips flying open?

Hips lead shoulders and hands, IMO. If the shoulders or hands are too late to follow, and the hips are facing the pitcher or second baseman while the hands and/or shoulder is still back, then one might call that 'hips flying open.' I think almost everyone here advocates the hips leading, but hips/shoulders/hands need to fire at the right time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1