Qualified for 1st Nationals. Now what?? Pin trading???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
Our 10u team did not come into the summer with any lofty plans or expectations. The primary goal was to improve on last year's result at the July tournament against other leagues in the region. We did not initially plan to take our team to the ASA qualifier, but thought the experience would be great for the girls. After a long weekend, they took 2nd place on Sunday and earned a berth to Western Nationals the 1st week of August.

In addition to the tourney fee, we've got $2500 in sponsorship so far and plan to use it for groceries and to rent 2 houses and vans. We don't want any single player's cost to exceed $500 out-of-pocket, most of which is for airfare.

One of the add-ons I did not consider when writing the initial budget were pins. How does pin trading work at these large events? Does every player bring a pin for every other player? Or do players bring as many as they want and simply trade until they run out? The best per-pin prices I'm seeing online are about $1. I cannot imagine anyone paying $500 for pins to give away.

Since it was something no one had planned for, it's going to be difficult for our team to make the trip. It's such a great opportunity, though, that we want to try to make it happen if possible. I know any parents who come have to pay a gate fee. Any advice about other potential hidden costs would be greatly appreciated.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Ah, trading pins...don't go cheap with trading pins. Trading pins are a big deal. Some people collect trading pins their entire life.

The deal is that the players approach the other teams and ask them if they want to trade pins. If your team has a nice pin, they'll trade. If they aren't a nice pin, the other team won't trade.

Suppose a 10YOA girl runs up to you whining and says, "The Florida Rattlesnakes won't trade with me! They say my pin is too small!" Do you want to be the person who was in charge who created this drama?

Or do players bring as many as they want and simply trade until they run out?

Some organizations give the girls so many pins (5 or so) and then the girls can order as many extra as they want.

The organization designs the pins, takes orders, etc.

The best per-pin prices I'm seeing online are about $1.

Don't go cheap.

Younger kids have a lot of fun with the trading pins. The last thing you want is a bunch of young kids bummed out because their organization got them some crappy pin and the other teams don't want to trade for your team's pin.

You want:

(1) A custom designed pin.
(2) A relatively large pin
(3) With a dangler

They will cost you a few bucks per pin.

I cannot imagine anyone paying $500 for pins to give away.

Then you need to go to the Imaginarium... You trade the pins, you don't give them away. Some people collect pins their entire life. My DD#3 (age 26) still likes to get her pins out and look at them.

$500, no. $100, yes.

OTHER COSTS

In the *first game, it is customary to give a gift bag to each player on the other team.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2011
I can't thank you guys enough. Kevin, I submitted a quote request to them just now, thanks for the lead.

Sluggers, thanks for all that great info. Coming from our little podunk town, we don't want to be left out of the fun, so I'll make sure our pin is trade-worthy. :)

It turns out that the great rental home I found is actually 45 minutes away door-to-door from the venue, but playing only 1 game a day, that should not be an issue.

The other issue is that it looks like only 9 of our 13 can make the trip. We can use up to 3 guest players, but have not been given the pick-up rules yet. When you have a teammate who can't travel, is it customary for someone to trade pins on her behalf? I wish everyone could be a part of the experience, but Nationals is more than they signed up for, which I fully understand.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Pick up players rules are pretty easy. I assume your playing 10B Western Nationals? If so the players have to come from within your association, if your playing 10A Western Nationals the rules are a little different. Also the team the players come from must not be competing in Championship Play anymore.

Not sure about pin trading with those players that didn't go, I mean I understand they may not be able to attend for whatever reason, but why burden the other players to pin trade for them? I would take those pins and give them to your pick up players

Dec 28, 2011
My DD was fortunate that at 10u, our hometown (Tucson) hosted Western ASA Nationals and many of the local teams qualified. It was a GREAT experience for the girls and families. Yes the pins were a big part of it. Our team gave each of the girls 10 or 15 pins and after a huge barbeque with all of the teams, the girls mingled and ran around trading pins. Met a lot of great kids. Some of the pins were more elaborate than others, ours were probably middle of the pack. We also did gift bags for the first team that we played. This is a fun activity that the girls can assemble together. Doesn't have to be too expensive, just try and be creative and include something to represent your area or team name. Little trinkets. (for example, if you have a Michaels craft store, they sell t-shirts for a couple of bucks a piece. Choose your team colors and decorate with fabric paint. your girls can sign them. Flip flops can also be decorated with "jewels" of your team colors. Nail polish, bracelets, hair ribbons, packs of gum) It can be an expensive week, no doubt, but the memories will last forever. My dd still talks about how fun it was (3 years later). Another thing that some teams did was dress up for the barbeque. We saw "hawaiian theme shirts, nerd outfits, hats, anything that may represent your area. Was fun to see. Hope your trip is great! Remember to bring cameras and get video!

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Pin trading is a big deal, our 14's & 16's are still into it. We give the girls 20 pins each and they are free to trade with who ever they choose to. As to guest players and pins, last year we brought a guest player with us, gave her the same 20 pins and she kept all the pins she traded for. That's kind of the perk of going. I wouldn't ask her to give them to a player that was unable to attend. If that is a concern I would enlist a parent to do some trading for the missing players.

Gate fees usually run $10-15 per day per person or passes for the week for $30-40 per person.

Gift bags are a whole other monster. They suggest around $10 per bag. Last year we gave a bag with all sorts of stuff (colored pre-wrap, sunflower seeds, power bands, sunglasses candy and silly string) and got a paper bag with penny candy and 3 different water bottles from 3 different insurance companies, yay! This year we're taking leather glove bags filled with sunglasses, sunflower seeds and titanium necklaces.

Is there going to be a parade of teams? This caught us off guard the first year, but in years since we bring tons of candy, beads, silly string and some sort of matching goofey hats and sunglasses for the girls to wear.

Best of luck!

Apr 1, 2010
Our recent trip to OKC was DD's first experience with trading pins. Yes, they are BIG deal to the girls. Her team's organization gave each girl a small baggie with a dozen?, two dozen? pins.

They actually gave them two different designs (I think there were some leftovers from the previous year), which, given that there were two of the org's 12U teams down there, was a big help. There were several times that DD was able to get a pin from a girl who already had the other pin because she still had one of the 'rarer' organization pins left.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321