"Pushing off" and lifting "Non Pushing Leg" Drills

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

WiZ

Feb 11, 2010
I have a daughter who's 10. We have been trying to get her to really "push off" with her right leg and at the same time lift the "off" leg as she explodes out.

What drills are out there that would help in this process? She has a in game speed of 46-48 mph right now and 52 gets her a cell phone so she really wants to improve in the speed area.

I know pictures are a great visual tool. We have taken some of her, showed her how short her stride was and how high her "off" leg doesnt get. I also hang positive pictures around her room / garage / practice facility of Jenny Finch and others exploding off the mound with a great push and lift.

Anybody have some nice easy & simple drills I could introduce to help in this area?

May 7, 2008
DFW
She is 10 and throwing 48? She would be far above average for a 10 year old. Hard for me to think she is having trouble with the push off throwing those speeds. Would love to see a vid of her in action.

Dana.

Jan 25, 2010
48?!? that's pretty fast! my daughter has a similar issue. her pitching coach had her bend her push-off side knee up while she is back in her wind-up (before she starts her motion). it forces her to sorta "plant" the foot harder and push off. don't confuse what i'm saying with picking up the foot and putting it back down - but you probably know that. also make sure she is putting more of the ball of her foot on the rubber (not her heel).

WiZ

Feb 11, 2010
She is 10 and throwing 48? She would be far above average for a 10 year old. Hard for me to think she is having trouble with the push off throwing those speeds. Would love to see a vid of her in action.

Dana.

There are a few 10u girls here in Michigan bringing it that fast this year. I have a video of her last year when she first started pitching. The last angle shows it best. She has put in a lot of work since this so dont beat her up too bad. When have her more on the powerline now. We have fixed her elbow from going out from her body. The only thing that "might" be like what you see is her short strides (thus the reason behind this post). She is a lot better now, but still could get out there alittle further.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Wiz

Have her step heal to toe for 6 steps from the middle of the pitching plate on the front side. Where her last step is should be where she is trying to stride out to with comfort. Tell her to draw a line across the dirt at that point. So her power line will now look like the letter "T" Any further and she is probably over striding for her age. Any less and she is not pushing off as much as she should.

Also, have her work on walk through and then get her to run through. This gives the pitcher the "Feel" of really driving off the rubber. Another thing I will do is have my pitchers put both feet evenly on the rubber. I will then tell them to imagine they have a swimming pool in front of them. I tell them I want you to jump into the pool. They will flex their knees and jump as far as they can. Its amazing how far some of them will get. I then tell them OK now I want you to do that same thing with your drive leg.

You have to get them to feel the quads loading then exploding as they leap out. Make sure they keep the drag foot down. ;)

It works well with all of my students. Let me know how it works for you.

Dana

WiZ

Feb 11, 2010
Have her step heal to toe for 6 steps from the middle of the pitching plate on the front side. Where her last step is should be where she is trying to stride out to with comfort. Tell her to draw a line across the dirt at that point. So her power line will now look like the letter "T" Dana

I will absolutely try that.... She really wants that cellphone so she said she'd work on any suggestions that would help her accomplish that. Im so cruel! :)

Thanks for the info Dana.

David

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck