Push/Stride Length

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
I'm jealous of that circle. Never see one that flat, first game of the year on that field?

Haha. This was the first pitch of the first game on Sunday morning. It didn't take long for it to have the "normal" holes and drag ditch. But I have to hand it to the crew in Portland...they keep the fields in good shape.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Hal, can we start a post where we can all I just ask you questions? Like "Ask Hal" and have it pinned under pitching? I have my daughter at pitching lessons with a less "outstanding" coach. I changed her mechanics to L&D and he didn't notice. Anyway my question is about more speed or torque? When plant foot hits she should she be rolling her shoulder forward to increase arm speed. Creating more whip? She is going in to 14u and tops out at 52. To me she is not using her all tue energy she is creating. She is not I/R. I stay with this coach because he is local but mainly he has girls that through hard with control. I know everyone has heard the proud dad that boasts his 12u is hitting 60, but I watch a first 12u every week hit 61, 62. My daughter catches for her. He sends girls to college and he has several throwing above 60. That is why I stay but he is not technical at all and I am missing something. I know 52 isn't bad but she is not utilizing all of her energy.

Doubt if there would ever be a thread just for questions to me.

You changed her from stepper to L and D and your instructor didnt notice??? Good Lord!

I would not roll the shoulder, I would not throw with a straight and locked elbow.

If you look at the arm circle of a step style pitcher it is not a perfect circle. It is slightly oblong and does have a whip at the end.

However, if you look at the arm circle of a strong and aggressive L and D pitcher , it is much more oblong and much faster. This produces a faster whip and a longer whipping action because of the longer stride and more resistance against the stride leg..

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Let me guess. She has been taught to pitch as a step style pitcher but now she is trying to throw with strength and speed that the step style mechanics can no longer contain. That is called 'Pitching style limbo'.

She surely feels that something is holding her back from throwing as hard / fast as she KNOWS she can. Seen it a thousand times.

This is the point where many step style pitchers have to switch to leap and drag. That is why other instructors would refer students to me, to make that transition.

No Hal she has never been a step style pitcher, or at least my defenition of a step style pitcher. She has gotten stronger and is able to use her momentum to her advantage now. Basically her push is exceeding her arm speed i think.....

Jun 13, 2011
My daughter has a tendency to go "up" instead of "out" with her motion - this has been a bone of contention for me... lol... she has improved immensely over the last year, and last night at practice I was really able to see why her pitches are a bit high lately - thought it was release oint, but in fact it was her "leaning back" too much as she pushed forward - does that even make sense? When i say "Stand Tall" she doesn't do it - but due to her back condition she tends to alleviate the pressure or any twinges by swaybacking therefore her shoulders go back.

if I hadn't been standing right to the side of her I would have never thought it was even possible to do so. I would have thought she'd lose her balance after each pitch.

They sure can compensate for things, can't they?

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Not sure what you mean by 'Swaybacking'. I interpret the term 'Stand tall' as 'Bad back'.

Back issues and 'Twinges'. Now you have me worried.

Has she seen an ortho surgeon for the back issues and twinges?

Has she ever pitched with a ;Forward dip'? Where she leans way forward, shoots up and forward at the same time?

Your foot, ankle and knee are the 'Brakes' for the human body when running, jogging and pitching. NOT the lower back that absorbs the shock when standing tall at the end of the pitch.

There are now other questions that must be answered here.

butcher-boy

old school
Jul 10, 2013
ARIZONA
There is a very good web site called ALL ABOUT SOFTBALL PITCHING that is written by Gerald Warner ex softball pitcher and coach for 40 years. He is out of Colorado and will even answer questions by E-mail. The site has a ton of pages about any question you might have on pitching. He has a formula for stride length based on DD's height. You can find it at Pitchsoftball.com. Sorry not smart enough to do links.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Hi butcher boy,

I read Coach Warner's 'Opinion' page the first time he was mentioned on here. GOOD LORD!

He outlines all the reasons he wants the rules changed in the ASA rulebook to exactly what the ISF does not enforce in the International Mens game and their rulebook.

I trust, since you mentioned him here, he is a good coach and a good person.

His opinion and what he would like to see happen goes against a whole lot of rulebooks.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
She is using a backswing then?

Nope, no backswing. Just curious.....why would you assume one would have to use a backswing in order to achieve more momentum? I agree that a backswing can add to the overall momentum of the push but in my opinion a backswing just adds more movement and more possibilities of causing mistakes. I actually took your advice from last fall and used the falling forward drill. That seemed to work pretty well for my DD.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321