Pure barrels or cut!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
All MLB hitters swing up. Follow the Hanson Principle. Pay attention to what they actually do in games using slo mo video - not what they say.

hitting-ted-williams-swing-plane.jpg

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
This has been explained a thousand times. My advice,
  • Make an effort to understand what the pros mean by down to.
  • Hanson Principle is applicable during the pro demos/drills as well. They are isolating their hands in these demos, missing important components like sequence and posture
  • Pick up a bat and try it, down to with good sequence and posture, what happens to the resulting barrel path? Apply the Hanson Principle to these swings

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
All MLB hitters swing up. Follow the Hanson Principle. Pay attention to what they actually do in games using slo mo video - not what they say.

All ML’ers swing down also. 😛

They swing around the spine angle which makes the bat travel in a 3 dimensional path. They’re always on plane.

Nov 16, 2017

Really based on that diagram an argument can be made that "the level stroke" is more appropriate for softball due to the flatter pitch path. I am not saying that is the case but..... if you flatten the incoming pitch to match softball... you tell me?

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa

They are always on plane, you develop tilt and swinging around the spine/hip angle. The barrel is always on plane and they swing to a spot. This is one reason the swing needs adjustment during the swing, because there is a base swing to adjust.😛 It’s like a bag of golf clubs, you have a base swing and adjust with the golf clubs of choice. It’s making an adjustment to the base swing.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Really based on that diagram an argument can be made that "the level stroke" is more appropriate for softball due to the flatter pitch path. I am not saying that is the case but..... if you flatten the incoming pitch to match softball... you tell me?

Yes, the pitch does come more level. Pitch is released at the hip and to a catchers glove, somewhere between the hip and knees.

You still swing to a spot, you don’t guide the swing.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
I feel like I've landed in a Big Foot forum.

At 8:27, this girl says this is not the right bat path, and you will never make it if you swing like this
batdont.JPG

She is demoing the bat path of every MLB hitter

mannyswingplane.gif

She says this 'short swing' 'A to B path' is the right way to go, the 'quick short swing' - 'if you want to play at the next level, you have to think about shortening up your swing'
batdo.JPG

What she is teaching is the most destructive thing you can teach. She is only repeating what she has been told by stupid coaches all her life, so I can't fully blame her. But she needs to watch her own swing, and MLB hitters to know this isn't the way any high level hitter swings.

batpath4.JPG

SportsScience (line drive swing on left, home run swing on right)
hitting-swing-plane-sports-science.jpg

How many kids' swings has she ruined? How many D1 scholarships were lost?

Dads at home, time is your enemy. I lost a decade or more with my kids listening to 'experts' like this. Compare what someone is telling you to what the best hitters actually do in games using slow motion video.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom