Pure barrels or cut!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Its too bad when people dont recognize perspectives outside their tunnel!
Recognize those are only searching for anyone to agree with them rather than acknowledge the responses provided.
Thats what limits growth of conversation and athletes!

View attachment 19003
Where does this lead?
looks like a like a train going down the tracks, just like this thread, Why are you trying to derail?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I like Lewis so far...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Legit adjustment. Out front w the upper body. Lateral. Very nice. Looks pushy bc the barrel is brought forward then launched. Text book.

Edit: kid seems legit.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Do you have a video of somebody following Trout's.. or any other pro's teaching on "down to" ? Just curious what "down to" means to you in a complete swing, a game swing, not a demo swing.

This is what it means to me

View attachment 18993 View attachment 18997
View attachment 18995 View attachment 18998

Here's Trout doing what he's demoing.. the demo is "hands in isolation", but still see his hands doing the same thing when integrated in the entire swing, the barrel(path) behaves differently because of the missing components

View attachment 18999

In each of these clips I see TTB. Not necessarily an exaggerated TTB like some people preach. But a TTB that results in getting the top hand palm up early in the swing arc. I'm not discounting your "down to" or "direct to" viewpoint. If that is what you see and it helps with your understanding, great. We see the same clips, see different things, but both like the results. Ultimately its that end result that matters the most.

May 12, 2016
Absolutely legit adjustment.. but not a text book swing, what I mean is you wouldn't teach your DD to swing like this off the tee. You would let the ball travel more where you have leverage JMHO

May 12, 2016
In each of these clips I see TTB. Not necessarily an exaggerated TTB like some people preach. But a TTB that results in getting the top hand palm up early in the swing arc. I'm not discounting your "down to" or "direct to" viewpoint. If that is what you see and it helps with your understanding, great. We see the same clips, see different things, but both like the results. Ultimately its that end result that matters the most.
I think the most important thing is how you would teach that..

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Absolutely legit adjustment.. but not a text book swing, what I mean is you wouldn't teach your DD to swing like this off the tee. You would let the ball travel more where you have leverage JMHO

Having a club for different swings. That’s what I mean.

It’s the same as inside/outing a pitch or hitting the inside part of the ball. It’s an adjustment, a club in your bag of tricks.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

I believe the best make adjustments out front. I think it’s a text book adjustment. They take the difference in velocity out of off speed pitches by ‘speeding up’ the pitch w their adjustment w their body out front. Backing the ball up as an adjustment for off speed doesn’t work. You can’t catch up to inside heat that way. Gotta move out for fastest pitch FYB and adjust out front to lesser speed pitches. With that being said if you can’t stay back, you can’t adjust out front.

Hitting off a tee to simulate isn’t practical. Front toss from close varying pitches is practical. It’s all a waste of time if the pattern isn’t optimal. Just be a one pitch at a time hitter.

Edit: Jr. is down to for the sake of thread. 🙂

Attachments

• 6150ECBF-9BEE-40D1-B227-DF14164621A0.gif
    6150ECBF-9BEE-40D1-B227-DF14164621A0.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
May 12, 2016
I believe the best make adjustments out front. I think it’s a text book adjustment. They take the difference in velocity out of off speed pitches by ‘speeding’ up the pitch w their adjustment w their body out front. Backing the ball up as an adjustment for off speed doesn’t work. You can’t catch up to inside heat that way. Gotta move out for fastest pitch FYB and adjust out front to lesser speed pitches. With that being said if you can’t stay back, you can’t adjust out front.

Hitting off a tee to simulate isn’t practical. Front toss from close varying pitches is practical. It’s all a waste of time if the pattern isn’t optimal. Just be a one pitch at a time hitter.
Of course you adjust out front,... if your ahead of the pitch you are always going to be out front. However every offspeed pitch is not hit out front like this. The hitter should have the ability to do what the hitter did in this situation, but it's not an idea swing. I can post many videos of hitters hitting off speed pitches with much better timing and a much better contact position. The hitter was fooled, made an adjustment and solid contact.. that's awesome! Not taking anything away from him.

Totally get what you are saying W... just not great timing and the idea contact position IMO, but kudos to the hitter for the excellent adjustment

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Of course you adjust out front,... if your ahead of the pitch you are always going to be out front. However every offspeed pitch is not hit out front like this. The hitter should have the ability to do what the hitter did in this situation, but it's not an idea swing. I can post many videos of hitters hitting off speed pitches with much better timing and a much better contact position. The hitter was fooled, made an adjustment and solid contact.. that's awesome! Not taking anything away from him.

It’s an ideal ADJUSTMENT. Text book adjustment. The pitch wasn’t a strike.

Edit: it’s not a push swing. The core is going before the hands.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes