Pure barrels or cut!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Thanks J. But I had to learn a lot and I am still learning. members on here and elsewhere were kind enough to share things I couldn’t work out for myself. As well as digging for myself. I just always used the rule of ‘does it match’ and ‘is it getting them better’? I never chased power or bat speed. I always figured that would work itself out. To me ‘squared’ balls go far.. I was always concerned w ‘can you hit every pitch’? And ‘can you catch up’ ?
Ah JK with you W... just thinking back to when I played, My dad didn't play, he was all about hockey so he couldn't help me. We didn't have instructors, we had a players dad who never played a sport in his life volunteer to manage the kids. So we picked up a bat learned how to hit the ball, figured it out on our own without instruction. :). Sometimes the athlete will figure it out.. sports smarts.. but it sure would of been nice to know what I know now :)

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Cutting the upper half of the ball, swing up to throw a ground ball with topspin.

giphy.gif

May 12, 2016
In some cases top spin is created while you are swinging up while hitting the ball and cutting through the top half of the ball🤪

So what does everyone preach? Hitting line drives.
What do you mean ... in some cases, it’s in a lot of cases. Have you ever played tennis? How do you make a top spin shot? It’s all about staying below the ball and following through up. A slice involves starting above the ball and down through. Of course the angle of the face of a racket makes a difference... but in general this is what(path of the racket) needs to happen.

I think the OP means something specific by “cut” and I don’t think it’s topping the ball

Agreed line drive could be to spin, no spin, or back spin. If you were a hitter what would be your goal?

Personally I would be trying to hit the ball hard regardless of spin, but if I had a choice It would be backspin.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
So it’s not only about cutting the ball for backspin.😎

I already have my 3B coaching signs worked out. Hands spinning like a drop-ball if I want her to hit top-spin and a riseball rotation of the hands if I want my batter to hit back-spin. And it will just be a matter of spin speed to communicate how much -spin I want her to apply! My question is, are my signs so complicated that it might confuse the girls enough to affect their execution? 😋

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom