Pure barrels or cut!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
I have no desire to comment on TM's philosophies. Been down that road way too many times already.
Nobody's asking you too, but you do get actively involved in discussions where he is mentioned. For example you felt the need to give RAD background information on the man, which is nice, but then you went on to explain how some people on this site has a grudge against because of feelings being hurt in the past, and how those people have like some kind of crusade against him or something. Completely irrelevant to this discussion. I'm talking about what he teaches .. right?

May 12, 2016
Not asking about the hand path, I see those differences in the demos. I am asking you whether what is missing from Trout's demo, which you say when added in gives a HL path, is also missing from TM's demo/demos. Simple question.
Already been answered in the thread pattar, I know you have been following along

May 12, 2016
So the stuff that is missing Trout's demo is missing TM's demo too? I don't remember you saying that.
Lets stop playing games.. are you asking a question or making a statement? My apologies if I am misunderstanding you

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Don't follow TM because the 1st thing I saw was potential life-long injury due to taking everything to the extreme much like many of the fast pitch instructors.
Again your good observations! 👍

May 12, 2016
I am asking a question, a serious one, which when answered will lead me to another question if you say yes..
You are asking me a rhetorical question.. both are isolating hands. Everything else is missing...get on with next question

Jun 8, 2016
You are asking me a rhetorical question.. both are isolating hands. Everything else is missing...get on with next question
Ok so you have said when you added in the missing pieces to Trout's demo you were able to reproduce a HL barrel path (or at least as HL as you or I could produce 😛 ) and I have no reason not to believe you. Have you tried that (e.g. add in everything which you considered missing in Trout's demo) with TM's hand demo and if so what did you observe? If you haven't that is fine, just curious.

May 12, 2016
Ok so you have said when you added in the missing pieces to Trout's demo you were able to reproduce a HL barrel path (or at least as HL as you or I could produce 😛 ) and I have no reason not to believe you. Have you tried that (e.g. add in everything which you considered missing in Trout's demo) with TM's hand demo and if so what did you observe? If you haven't that is fine, just curious.
I have tried it, when I was teaching my DD I tried everything before instructing her. To me it felt forced, removing my hands from the equation early, earlier on too much focus on hands and the body reacting, at times I did lose the barrel and could not regain it, and I don't mean just dumping, casting as well. Observed same thing with my DD.

"down to" felt smooth and in control. My body was supporting my hands, hands were not dictating the body. When paired with good posture and FYB sequence, good barrel path, posture dictated barrel path and created space for my hands to make adjustments.

BTW I understand posture and sequence is important with TM's TTB as well, I'm not saying that. But it's majorly important with a "down to" approach, if you are missing those components you end up with a very steep pushy swing.

I hope that helps answer your questions

Jun 8, 2016
I have tried it, when I was teaching my DD I tried everything before instructing her. To me it felt forced, removing my hands from the equation early, earlier on too much focus on hands and the body reacting, at times I did lose the barrel and could not regain it, and I don't mean just dumping, casting as well. Observed same thing with my DD.

"down to" felt smooth and in control. My body was supporting my hands, hands were not dictating the body. When paired with good posture and FYB sequence, good barrel path, posture dictated barrel path and created space for my hands to make adjustments.

BTW I understand posture and sequence is important with TM's TTB as well, I'm not saying that. But it's majorly important with a "down to" approach, if you are missing those components you end up with a very steep pushy swing.

I hope that helps answer your questions
Thanks. I knew that you tried the TM hand/forearm action with your DD but I wasn't sure if you had all the "other stuff" down yet when you were doing so. Anyway with Marcela, as I have said a bunch of times, a lot (all ? :LOL: )of the "other stuff" is still missing so this discussion was more out of curiosity vs something I am going actively work on with her right now (or ever depending on what I observe).

Last edited: