Pure barrels or cut!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Not you personally .. but some are using the pros own words of “ down to” to fit their own agenda. For example, TM. And we both know that what the pros mean and what TM is talking about are not the same. We’ve seen enough of what TM does and what the pros demo/practice to know they are not referring to the same thing ... just TM using the pros own words and misrepresenting in his model. JMHO
Pros mean hand action while TM is talking about barrel?? Is that what you believe the difference is? To be honest they are both correct..for most pitches the hands will move down and for all pitches the barrel has to move down from where it starts :)

To me, the only question is whether the hands/forearms do anything (actively) at launch other than translate (down to for the most part and forward) the bat. If a hitter doesn't use their core correctly and just uses the hands/forearms to create the initial downward barrel path you will get a dump e.g barrel path is too "steep" behind them. I will agree with that. So for me (I said that already... :) ) the only question is whether or not a hitter who has a pulling core will still have a "barrel dump" if they incorporate some handle torque via hands/forearms either consciously (e.g. instructed to do so) or unconsciously (e.g. naturally).

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Not you personally .. but some are using the pros own words of “ down to” to fit their own agenda. For example, TM. And we both know that what the pros mean and what TM is talking about are not the same. We’ve seen enough of what TM does and what the pros demo/practice to know they are not referring to the same thing ... just TM using the pros own words and misrepresenting in his model. JMHO

There are a lot of agendas out there, and some in here...

May 12, 2016
Pros mean hand action while TM is talking about barrel?? Is that what you believe the difference is? To be honest they are both correct..for most pitches the hands will move down and for all pitches the barrel has to move down from where it starts :)

The only question is whether the hands/forearms do anything (actively) at launch other than translate (down to for the most part and forward) the bat. If a hitter doesn't use their core correctly and just uses the hands/forearms to create the initial downward barrel path you will get a dump e.g barrel path is too "steep" behind them. I will agree with that. To me the only question is whether or not a hitter who has a pulling core will still have a "barrel dump" if they incorporate some handle torque via hands/forearms either consciously (e.g. instructed to do so) or unconsciously (e.g. naturally).
No.. not you and I personally, But we’ve been over this mountain one too many times, the difference between what the pros demo/practices and TM demos/preaches is obvious and I am just speaking about the hands here

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
What has the best chance to more consitently hit slightly below the centerline of a ball coming in at 5-9 deg downslope?
1) Swinging down
2) Swinging level (0 deg)
3) Swinging up

Note: You must hit below the centerline in order to 1) generate backspin, and 2) create a launch angle greater than the pitch (5-9 deg)
hitting-faults-hit-bottom-of-ball-animated.gif

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Is this question for me, based on what I wrote? Sorry I am not sure what you are asking me here?
Not necessarily, I don't know what your position is on applying backspin to the ball, which is what the OP addressed. This is meant for the group in general. I am questloning the idea of applying backspin to the ball with a bat that is angled and not horizontal. In slowpitch, where contact is much higher in the strike zone, the concept is feasible, in fastpitch and in baseball not so much.

I learned years ago from golf and tennis not to trust what professionals say about their mechanics. Video proved that, at one time in their careers, Jack Nicklaus and Andre Agassi were wrong about how they hit the ball.

May 12, 2016
Looking at the hands in isolation, this. TM's "down to" and the pros "down to" are different ends of the spectrum

gif (20).gif <> gif (21).gif

May 12, 2016
Not necessarily, I don't know what your position is on applying backspin to the ball, which is what the OP addressed. This is meant for the group in general. I am questloning the idea of applying backspin to the ball with a bat that is angled and not horizontal. In slowpitch, where contact is much higher in the strike zone, the concept is feasible, in fastpitch and in baseball not so much.

I learned years ago from golf and tennis not to trust what professionals say about their mechanics. Video proved that, at one time in their careers, Jack Nicklaus and Andre Agassi were wrong about how they hit the ball.
And how did you learn that?

Forget about the backspin for a moment..

Pick up a bat, with the pros "down to" approach, focus on having good sequence and posture. What happens to the barrel, what does your barrel path look like? Video yourself, take a look

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zwhickcar