Puberty and pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
My DD will be 13 this month.
Puberty is definitely arriving ....

We are working on staying open a little longer as her hip is getting in the way.

She is always fidgeting trying to get comfortable as she feels like her body is getting in her way ...
(no pain)

Speed down slightly, accuracy off slightly.
Not awful...but she is just a little off

She wants to increase time doing long toss ...says it makes her feel better ...
Looks frustrated as she seems to be keeping her mechanics fairly correct at this point but pitches don't have the bite they did 2-3 weeks ago.

She can easily go an hour straight pitching ...
Needs to work on using legs more ....pitches 46-48 ...may have hit 50 when pushing in a practice, but not in a game ..
(although I would love her to speed to come up...she is really accurate)

Any ideas how we can help her work through this inevitible time period?

Tournaments start in May ...

She's turning 13 and you're just having this problem? Consider yourself lucky.

My oldest daughter was a couple months shy of her 11th birthday, and my wife was pregnant with our 3rd child, and one day when I was going to the store, she added some feminine products to the shopping list. I said "Why do you need these?" And she said "I don't need them..."

Needless to say, I wasn't feeling too well for a while :eek:

Then she told me that it had actually started a month or 2 before, but they hadn't told me because they didn't want me to freak out :)

To answer your question, I think she will just have to get used to her body changing over the next several months, but she should be able to work through it fine.

Good Luck :)

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
puberty pitching

11?

13 yr old isn't there yet...but signs are emerging....two more daughters (almost 11 and 4) follow...

Figured we would just have to gut it out ... her first year of travel and she doesn't want to pitch less because her body is changing so quickly!

Off to the back yard to refine mechanics...lol

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
DD went through this a couple of months after her 13th birthday (October '08). Since she has always stayed open until her hand passed her hip she didn't suffer a loss of speed, as a matter of fact I am pretty sure her speed has increased a bit.

Her attitude, however, has changed. :eek:

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
puberty pitching

My DD always had hips follow release...but was cutting it close .....

...now that isn't cutting it! she needs to stay open longer ..
so her timing is off a bit...

ATTITUDE! Crack me up .. PLENTY of that....
...she still works hard...but the eyes roll a lot and I think she has a leak (sigh sigh sigh)
:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors