Proud Day for Us.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2012
it was really a proud day for my DD and us.....there were lots of people and support in attendance for the kid who has had an amazing HS and TB career and ready for the next challenge....

Columbia Cougars Athletics - Cougar Softball Pens Natalie Dummitt

and the process of inking the money down the stretch was a weird ride including a de-commitment to another school which is a whole other story it's self....

Apr 11, 2012
Well....my DD decided she wanted to be in Columbia, MO where it's quite the "happening" town for young people with Mizzou....her boyfriend goes to MU and many of her HS and other area friends are going there as well...this was a change from where she committed to a very prestigious and softball successful local D2 school when she was just 14.....her change of mind came when we couldn't get the scholarship offer in writing this fall, and along the fact that the AD is friends with my mother-in-law and questioned the amount offered by the coach privately (like it was much more than normal)....then we skip NLI sign day in the fall as the school's new dean of admission refused to accept her at the semester break and informed us that her admission may have to be based on an upcoming ACT test scores rather than her 3.85 GPA like we were told....which would make the signing "just a fake" and not a real NLI so we declined the fall event......then she was getting bad reviews on the lifestyle by current athletes at the school that she knows and they were all giving her many "it's so boring" reviews.....she's a good kid who has never been in any kind of trouble, but wants to have some fun too....so apparently she was pretty un-sure of the commitment at that point made up her mind to get what she wants out of college, so she went on her own and got even a better scholarship deal (money wise and a fifth year), to yet still another private institution. Of course I was pretty upset because of the deception (didn't confide and include me), but we worked all of that out and prepared to move forward....until the HC on her TB Gold team (too which I am an AC) found out....which brings up the next part

The HC of her TB Gold team, who is not coaching at all next year and hanging it up, was so upset with her that he told my DD that he had to think about if she still a member of his team or not for de-committing and would have to sleep on it overnight.....after four days of him letting her hang, I had had enough so my DD and I both told we decided for him....she was really hurt by him for not supporting her and me too.....and of course within hours of HC finding out, she had 4 offers from the top competing teams in the area and landed in a great spot....which is quite another story also.....(old TB team v. new TB team). In any case, there are a lot of his peers who are disappointed in him for treating an outstanding 17 YO athlete, student and model young lady, in such a way.....me?.....It's his team and he can choose run it the way he wants....I'm not mad at him....well, anymore that is....I'm sure some folks around here may think my DD is a POS for changing her mind....but is now happy and excited about college this fall.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The HC of her TB Gold team, who is not coaching at all next year and hanging it up, was so upset with her that he told my DD that he had to think about if she still a member of his team or not for de-committing and would have to sleep on it overnight.....after four days of him letting her hang, I had had enough so my DD and I both told we decided for him....she was really hurt by him for not supporting her and me too

Why would her TB coach be so upset? I think it is a good TB coaches job to find the best "fit" - athletically, academically and financially, for every player on their team. I would have told the TB coach to "pound sand" too!

Apr 8, 2013
What part about these being 17/18 year old kids who are still maturing and need to carve their own path in life (with our guidance) do some of these people not get? Kudos to her for having the courage to do what SHE wanted to do. I'm sure that since the time she verballed at 14 she has changed significantly in so many different ways. Very very very few people want the same thing at 14 as they do at 18. And it sounds like the school she didn't sign with was giving her the run around, which should make her decision a no brainer. What was the TB coach thinking? And these other people who think she's a POS weren't in her shoes. Good for her and for you too.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Yeah, really.

If schools can back off of verbal commits, then so can students. Esp. in this case when the original school wasn't clear about whether they would honor their end of the bargain.

One wonders if the TB coach was more worried about jeapordizing a relationship with the college coach.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Your story really points out the craziness in giving or getting verbals from a 14 year old. Kids go through a lot of changes in those four years and their priorities, tastes, friends, interests, etc. change considerably.

Good for your dd for realizing what she wanted in her college experience and having the nerve to make the change. A shame the TB coach didn't support her, but maybe he put in a lot of work on the original verbal and then was unhappy it didn't go through.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie