Proud Dad! DD commits

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 22, 2015
I post on the forums fairly regularly, but I'm not sure I actually know anyone on these forums in real-life. I'm so proud of dd I just had to share. She committed to Bethany College (Kansas) Friday. In itself that's a proud dad moment no doubt, but she's overcome some obstacles that have made this moment even more special to me. When she was 13 a recurring injury (right collarbone popping out of place, long explanation) forced us to evaluate everything she did, which led us to realize it was caused by her RH swing. As a right-handed pitcher, this was even more problematic, since it took away both her primary position and her ability to hit. She decided since she was a little above average speed she'd just hit left-handed and become a slapper (since it's just that simple, right?). Within a year she was a pretty decent slapper and has hit for a good average since. At 15 she began to experience some numbness in her hand when pitching that progressed to complete numbness on the pinky finger side and pain in the elbow. Even longer story short, she had ulnar nerve transposition surgery in 2018. She worked the rehab hard, put in the work to come back and pitch, and it just didn't happen. No matter how bad she wanted it she just couldn't get back to being the pitcher she had been. She made the call early this year to give up pitching and focus on her other positions. I've been so proud of her that throughout all of this, and with each setback during rehab, etc. she cried, whined for a day or 2, then just pivoted and found a way forward. In reality, that's what most of life is and this will all make her so much stronger. In the grand scheme of life these are minor setbacks, but I'm sure proud of her! We give God the glory for helping her find a way, giving us so many amazing moments together, and guiding her to exactly where she was meant to end up.