Protective gear for pitchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
My daughter's about to begin her pitching "career" (10U, haha) and I'm wondering besides a face mask, do your pitchers wear any other protective gear? I've seen those shirts that have padding over the heart (and sternum/stomach in some cases). Are those helpful at all, do you think? She's got super fast hands and we've been working with her on watching the ball as soon as she releases, so she can try to catch it if it gets fired back at her or at least get out of the way. But a good hit straight down the middle is probably going to be too fast to catch sometimes. I'm not a wrap-your-kid-in-bubble-wrap type but I would like to keep her as safe as is reasonably possible.

Feb 2, 2015
Evo Shield is a great little device. It molds to you daughter's body and will help protect them from shots to the chest. DD seems to be very comfortable with hers but make sure to follow the directions when molding it as they could get messed up and become unusable.

Jun 12, 2015
Definitely go with the face mask! It would have saved my DD a nasty linedrive to the face.

Definitely! When we played in our very first tournament, with our county All Stars team last year, she was playing pitcher (8U, coach pitch). A hard hit took a bad hop and caught her in the chin. I'm just happy she didn't lose any teeth! That was our learning experience and she's worn a Rip It face mask ever since.

May 15, 2014
Atlanta
Get her an Evo Shield. Order it directly from their website and make sure you get her the tank style. In my area, you can find them at sporting good places but they are the high neck baseball style. Right now you can get one for $39.98- it just has the chest piece not the back inserts which imo you do not need. If you are ordering from them, go ahead and get her an elbow guard as well because the 1st time she is hit with a wild pitch at 10U in the elbow, you will wish you had bought it.
EvoShield Racerback Chest Guard