Proper Use Of Radar Guns

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
Bucket- I think I know what you are asking: The spin itself would not affect the radar reading. Higher spin causes a lower rate of deceleration if I understand Riseball.

The arc of the ball or the movement of a breaking pitch would not affect the reading very much. Way less than one mile per hour, not even measurable.

Jul 17, 2012
When I use a radar gun on my DD I am looking for consistent results to gauge improvement. I really don't care if the results are off my a couple of MPH as long as we can determine if her speed is improving......

Just a point to add to your comment....improper use of an instantaneous read gun can have a somewhat significant impact on what you're measuring for your comparison. Over 35-38' you can see a significant change in the reading depending on when you capture the reading. If you're quick on the trigger one day, you'll get it out of the hand.......if you're slow another day, you'll get it at the catcher's glove. That range can vary the speed as much as 5 MPH. That's a HUGE variance. So it's important to be consistant. May sound silly, but at 50 mph, the time lapse from release to glove is a a fraction of a second.

Jul 17, 2012
Bucket- I think I know what you are asking: The spin itself would not affect the radar reading. Higher spin causes a lower rate of deceleration if I understand Riseball.

The arc of the ball or the movement of a breaking pitch would not affect the reading very much. Way less than one mile per hour, not even measurable.

This is a tricky one. I thought the logic hre was ...the higher the rate of spin, the more "Drag" on the ball, causing a more significant decelleration. I don't know if that difference is measurable in MPH or not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi