Proper Use Of Radar Guns

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
I see a lot of people using radar guns to measure pitching speed. It occurred to me that a lot of people don't know how to use them well and there is confusion about accuracy and differences in readings between different units.

I wrote up some thoughts and info and posted it in another thread but thought I would start a separate thread, maybe it will help some folks use their radar guns better.

Radar guns are checked for accuracy using a tuning fork. There is currently a 30 mile per hour tuning fork on eBay for 14 bucks.

Because after the ball leaves the hand it is decelerating, where the pitched ball is clocked May affect the speed indicated. I don't know how much it decelerates but if the ball is clocked as it exits the circle it is going faster than when it is caught. (I am thinking a few miles an hour difference but do not have any experience with the deceleration of softballs. Hopefully someone who knows will chime in.)

Considering the above, who is running the gun and how it is being run makes a difference. Where is the ball being clocked? Example: Maybe a Jugs gun has better range and is clocking the ball closer to the pitcher than a Pocket Radar unit. So, even if both the Jugs and the Pocket Radar are accurate you might see two different but accurate readings. The speed was just measured at two different places and the speed was different at those two places due to deceleration.

Also, the closer the ball is moving directly toward or away from the radar unit the more accurate the speed indicated will be. As the radar gun is moved away from being straight toward or away from the path of the moving ball the lower the speed will be. So, if the radar is 5 degrees from the path of a pitched ball it will correctly read higher in speed than a radar 20 degrees off the path of the pitched ball.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2012
The decelleration of a softball can safely be assumed to be 1MPH for every 7 feet of travel.

To your other point. It's very important to understand how your radar unit works. Is it an instantaneous read, meaning it measures a snapshot of the speed at the time it is activated, or is it a constant read where it will register the maximum speed during a particular range of time.

Good thread Westwind.

The pocket radar for instance is an instantaneous read. It reads the pitch speed at the moment the button is released. So you push the button during the windup and release the button at the exact time the pitcher is releasing the ball for the most accurate reading.

When gunning your own DD, you need to abruptly move the radar unit toward the oncoming pitch as you activate the unit in order to enable the built in daddy speed feature.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
When gunning your own DD, you need to abruptly move the radar unit toward the oncoming pitch as you activate the unit in order to enable the built in daddy speed feature.

I believe a quick, stabbing motion is effective. It's even better if you can get a running start from the backstop.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I believe a quick, stabbing motion is effective. It's even better if you can get a running start from the backstop.

Someone needs to post the video of "radar stabbing Grandpa" for those who have not had the pleasure of viewing it.....

Mar 28, 2013
I only check my DDs twice a year with the radar, right after winter training and at the end of TB season. The results are always fun and really show the pitchers the progress. When it comes to the toys the one I use allot is the rev fire RPM counter. That is great info and really helps my DDs understand what snap and whip feel like when done well.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
...The decelleration of a softball can safely be assumed to be 1MPH for every 7 feet of travel....

Good thread. The figure of 1mph for every 7 feet is a good rule of thumb producing an average deceleration of 5 -6 mph. That is what I see at most 14u and High School games. However, the rate of spin impacts deceleration and results in significant variances from pitcher to pitcher or even pitch to pitch. I have seen a minimum of 2-3mph to a high of over 10mph in the case of Chelsea Wilkinson from UGA who on good authority spins the ball at an insane 45rps.

As to the DD Daddy button, the Stalker 2 has that feature. :)

Mar 28, 2013
My question would be is it the spin or the movement of the ball affecting the reading? If the ball is for a lack of a better term arcing toward you how can the radar get an accurate speed.Im not disagreeing with your post, just trying to better understand.

Good thread. The figure of 1mph for every 7 feet is a good rule of thumb producing an average deceleration of 5 -6 mph. That is what I see at most 14u and High School games. However, the rate of spin impacts deceleration and results in significant variances from pitcher to pitcher or even pitch to pitch. I have seen a minimum of 2-3mph to a high of over 10mph in the case of Chelsea Wilkinson from UGA who on good authority spins the ball at an insane 45rps.

As to the DD Daddy button, the Stalker 2 has that feature. :)

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
My question would be is it the spin or the movement of the ball affecting the reading? If the ball is for a lack of a better term arcing toward you how can the radar get an accurate speed.

For the most part increased spin equates to more movement. Most radar guns provide the highest reading during the period that the trigger is activated and the unit is transmitting. Higher end guns like the Stalker 2 provide both the high and the low which allows you to know how much speed the pitch "bleeds". To your point the speed reported is the velocity of the object as it moves toward the radar gun over a specific time period.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
When I use a radar gun on my DD I am looking for consistent results to gauge improvement. I really don't care if the results are off my a couple of MPH as long as we can determine if her speed is improving......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi