Proper fit for Catching Gear?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 4, 2012
Oregon
DD has finally achieved enough skill to deserve her first set of catcher's gear! After a long wait, the new gear arrived. But DD didn't like the fit. How do I know if it the right size or not? She has been wearing used equipment from Play it Again, so she may not understand what it is supposed to fit like.

She believes the shin guards are too short. Should the bottom flaps rest fully on her shoes or be up her ankle by an inch or two? Her ankle is fully protected, but the top of her foot is not.

The helmet seems to fit around her head, but she is complaining about the bar being too high and in her vision. Also, the chin pad is in her mouth. I've adjusted everything downwards, but the top strap is fully out. The straps to the back of the helmet are fully tightened. I'm worried that a bigger helmet might fit her chin, but would be loose around her head.

Finally, DD says that the chest protector is too wide. She is tall and ultra skinny, so I'm doubtful that I can do much there. The chest protector is all foam. I thought that they transition to a harder armor at some level. What is the right balance between protection and comfort?

DD plays U12 on a travel team until fall when we move up to U14.

Thanks for the help. I know she is anxious to get her new gear.

Julie

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
The bottom pieces should cover her toes when she's in a crouch.
DD's chin pad is held in with velcro, so can be moved, should be just below her bottom lip.
Chest protectors are stiff when new, so they don't wrap well at first.

DD is 12, 5'10" 125#. She has all Easton gear. She wears adult size helmet and leg guards and intermediate size chest protector.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I think that your DD (darling daughter) is right. But, some shin guards only cover the top of the foot. This may be a stupid question, but why didn't you get her the same size that she was wearing? Also, most shin guards will say on them, what age group they are for. Google how to measure for the chest protector. Did you buy female gear? Generally, the guy stuff doesn't fit us.

Feb 9, 2011
DD is 12 4-11" and around 113 she uses schutt scorpion gear and they do not cover the toe.

She has an Adult size helmet small head lots of hair lol. Alot has to do with the adjustment of the straps it takes a little work to get her line of site where she wants it the first time then it's good. DD's mom put a couple stitches in straps to hold in place.

Her shin guards are 14" and chest protector is 15" and fit her perfectly they are designed for women and we ordered based on measuring guide.

Measure the circumference of her head with a tape not pulled snug but after 10u most kids need an adult.

Chest protector distance from center of collarbone straight down to belly button with DD standing straight up.

Shin guards are measured from the center of the knee to the bottom of the shin or it's easier to do it from the side. Center of knee to center of the ankle.

Hope this helps.

Jan 4, 2012
Oregon
Thanks

Thanks for all of the help. This would all have been easier if her trial gear fit better, but we pieced it together from available hand-me-downs, and Play It Again Sport.

On the chest protector, I told her to suck it up and break it in. :)

The shin guards cover most of her foot when in a squat - with the bottom of the shin piece within a half inch of the top of her foot. We decided that is OK.

The hard one is the helmet. I'm at the end of the top strap and the bar is still across her eyes. On the side straps, I'm at the opposite extreme. Those straps are pulled all the way tight. DD thought it was OK when we unsnapped the top strap. I'll need to track down a longer strap, but I think it will work.

Thanks again for all of the help!

Julie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi